LegacyGT.com

Shopping for a legacy GT

Hey guys,

I've been lurking this forum for a while. Right now I drive a mustang and I'm thinking about trading it in for a Legacy GT soon. I figured I'd come on here so I can get opinions from real Legacy drivers. What do you guys think of your GTs, do you think you made the right choice buying them? What kind of problems should I be looking for in used Legacies? I only want to spend around 10-16k CAD on the car so I'm looking for higher mileage vehicles, anywhere from 100-200km (60-125k miles), are there any big issues that come up around in that range? Finally, one of the biggest points in buying an LGT for me, do they really do 0-60 in ~5.5 seconds or is that bs? I'm looking to buy an LGT from 2005-2009 as a car that I can keep and modify for a long time.

Welcome. Quite a different car from Mustang to LGT. But to address your biggest issue.. yes, 5.5 to 60 is no bs. With the 5MT being a tad quicker than the 5EAT all other things being equal. A couple mods and you're quicker than that pretty easily.

You're going to get biased opinions here or course, most love our LGTs. I've had mine for 3.5 years and have been nothing but happy with it. It really depends on what you want in a car. A good friend of mine went from LGT to Mustang GT because the LGT was too "tame". While that's exactly what I like most about the car, it's not loud and obvious.

Hey welcome aboard, I bought a LGT a while back, loved it so much that I bout my wife a Outback XT (raised wagon version of the legacy). Now I'm going to be selling my car soon, it fits your criteria, but I'm in the U.S.

welcome to the site :)

What do you guys think of your GTs, do you think you made the right choice buying them?

I never once regretted buying it. It's a great all-around car. It's a car you can take to the track and drive in a snow storm. I do both throughout the year, as do many others.

What kind of problems should I be looking for in used Legacies? I only want to spend around 10-16k CAD on the car so I'm looking for higher mileage vehicles, anywhere from 100-200km (60-125k miles), are there any big issues that come up around in that range?

It's a crapshoot. You never know how well the previous owner maintained the car. Turbo cars require a bit more care than NAs. Keep in mind no car is bulletproof and they all have problems. If you can get a compression test done before you buy it, do it.

Finally, one of the biggest points in buying an LGT for me, do they really do 0-60 in ~5.5 seconds or is that bs?

Stock LGTs are quick in first and second gear but lose a lot up top due to the relatively small turbo. You'll be beating on your drivetrain pretty well to achieve a 5.5 0-60 stock at sea level. Most 5MT LGTs stock run low 14s. Stg2 legitimately puts you on par with pre 2011 Mustang GTs. Stg2 cars may break into the high 12s on a cold night at low elevation.

Ive had mine for 4 years, its a great car.

If I was buying a used one today, I'd be curious about the compression test, or maybe ask the owner about their routine oil maintenance. I feel like every 3,000 miles is a need (this topic is discussed many times on this site) But if the owner can tell me he changes it often, and adds to it often to maintain the correct amount of oil....I'd feel better buying his car. If owner aks like its not important, like they rarely pop the hood... I'd be skeptical.

I run my car hard, to get away with that, I keep her fluids fresh and full. This is what I do.

about 90K on her, (45K at stage 2) only "repair" work has been replacing the clutch, she has been a wonderful car, and continues to thrill me whenever I want her to.

I also had an '03 Mustang GT (I'm assuming your was a GT, too), and went to an LGT. At first I didn't like it.

The car drives totally different. No more power slides on dry pavement, no more V8 rumble (best part of a Mustang), and no more predictable power curve of a torquey N/A. Plus I really liked the styling of the previous generation Mustangs.

The LGT was more refined, quieter (now I have SPT catback to remedy that), and feels more conservative. Also there is some turbo lag and hesitation. Quality and amenities far far better than the Mustang. No more cheap ugly plastic.

However, overall it's better in the long run. Now I have a car I can drive year round and not worry about snow. Also it's a lower profile car that is less likely to be stolen, broken into, or profiled as you drive by a cop. The car has MUCH more power potential than the 2v 4.6L in the Mustang. It's just a better car all around.

Very happy with the switch now, but there are days I miss driving a powerful V8.

Archived