LegacyGT.com

#2 0f 10 cars most likely to go 200,000 miles

Funny that the ford Taurus is there. I thought it had a reputation for all sorts of things breaking after the power train warranty was over. I guess it could make it, but will probably cost you an arm and a leg.

Turbo Subarus are on the top 10 list of cars NOT to make it to 200K :lol:

To quote is best "owning a turbo Subaru is like buying a grenade with the pin already pulled the only thing you can do is minimize the damage"

The bulk of the 200,000 miles examples FS are probably between 10-20 years old. It's pretty impressive to have the legacy/outback @ #2 & #10 since they have lowest production number of any of the listed cars. Even more impressive given the HG issue of the 90's.

One of the reason the corolla might not be on that list is toyota had some stuck ring issue with the 98-2005 motors (2000-2001 low tension ring were really bad). Some of the motors just dont last until 200k and junkyard replacements all have same underlying problem. The problem years of the Corolla fall right in 10-20 year area where most of the 200k probably come from. I had a 2002.

As for the Taurus, they sold a whole bunch of them but They had transmissions that wouldn't last until 200k miles (closer to 100k), so maybe people are rebuilding the tranny's. They would require a whole bunch maintenance. I had a Maxima before this motors/tranny's go 300k but every else falls apart around it. I bet the Taurus's are the same way.

A lot of cars will do 200k with preventive maintenance.

However that can get expensive over time, especially at 100k plus.

The larger goal should be to make it to 200k with the least amount of time and money needed. Otherwise you end up with a situation where it makes more sense to get a new car with low mileage compared to maintaining an old car near EOL.

This is something Honda and Toyota are very good at.

A lot of cars will do 200k with preventive maintenance.

However that can get expensive over time, especially at 100k plus.

The larger goal should be to make it to 200k with the least amount of time and money needed. Otherwise you end up with a situation where it makes more sense to get a new car with low mileage compared to maintaining an old car near EOL.

This is something Honda and Toyota are very good at.

Yeah, I just spent a ridiculous amount of money on a head gasket replacement at 90k miles along with some other maintenance items, and I'm at 102k miles now but just waiting for the next major disaster. The transmission is getting a little iffy - likes to give me annoying vibration right around 20 to 30 mph...already had to replace one bad wheel bearing assembly at just over 60k miles, and before that it had a bad a/c condenser and a short in the fuel sending unit when it was still under warranty. Not terrible overall, but not matching my old 1997 Saturn SL2. Call it a crude, cheap little plastic car, but that thing was rock solid and gave me 220,000 miles! And no annoying door or fender dings with the plastic body panels!

Funny that the ford Taurus is there. I thought it had a reputation for all sorts of things breaking after the power train warranty was over. I guess it could make it, but will probably cost you an arm and a leg.

I drove a 2008 Taurus AWD to 211,000 miles. I can count the issues I had on one hand:

1. USB Port (for Sync system) died at 4 hours. Warrantied

2. Throttle Body Died at 65,000 miles ($400. Could have had warrantied, but didn't feel like fighting since I wasn't paying for the replacement to begin with).

3. Throttle Body died again at 104,000 miles ($400).

4. Right Rear wheel bearing around 205,000 miles

5. Radio randomly turned off about once every 10-15,000 miles. Ford tried to fix it (warranty) but never figured it out. For a 4-6 times a year issue resolved by pressing the power button again, I dropped the issue.

The only other things that ever went wrong with that car:

1. Smoked a coyote at 65 mph - cracked lower front bumper and foglight surround

2. Smoked a sparrow (a freaking sparrow!) at 80 mph - cracked AC condenser and transmission cooling line.

3. Went through about 4 windshields in that time.

Sincerely, that was the best car I've ever had. After 200,000 miles, that car was way more solid/rattle-free than my Legacy after just 60,000 miles.

I drove a 2008 Taurus AWD to 211,000 miles. I can count the issues I had on one hand:

1. USB Port (for Sync system) died at 4 hours. Warrantied

2. Throttle Body Died at 65,000 miles ($400. Could have had warrantied, but didn't feel like fighting since I wasn't paying for the replacement to begin with).

3. Throttle Body died again at 104,000 miles ($400).

4. Right Rear wheel bearing around 205,000 miles

5. Radio randomly turned off about once every 10-15,000 miles. Ford tried to fix it (warranty) but never figured it out. For a 4-6 times a year issue resolved by pressing the power button again, I dropped the issue.

The only other things that ever went wrong with that car:

1. Smoked a coyote at 65 mph - cracked lower front bumper and foglight surround

2. Smoked a sparrow (a freaking sparrow!) at 80 mph - cracked AC condenser and transmission cooling line.

3. Went through about 4 windshields in that time.

Sincerely, that was the best car I've ever had. After 200,000 miles, that car was way more solid/rattle-free than my Legacy after just 60,000 miles.

Wow! That is impressive. Although, putting that many miles on in a short period of time is unusual and probably constituted a lot of HW miles. That is probably a different path than the usual to 200K.

Still, that is damn impressive.

Its nice that the legacy placed #2 but damn, the corolla didn't even make the list.

People get bored of their Corollas at 20,000 miles. They don't have a chance to get to 200,000.

And Outback at #10.

Which is odd, because it's a Legacy.

So either the demographics between the two are night and day, with Legacy owners staying up all night fixing their cars.

Which is odd, because it's a Legacy.

So either the demographics between the two are night and day, with Legacy owners staying up all night fixing their cars.

I wonder if the fact that the Outback sells a lot higher volume has anything to do with it.

This list is only a representation of how the most(by volume) purchased cars in the time allotted to accrue 200,00 miles, have made it to that point.

This article should have read, "These cars have proven to drive over 200,000 miles, consistently. There were no diesels in that list...

Sitting at 126k in my 05 LGT. I've owned it for five years and done at least a dozen non-maintenance repairs ranging from CV axles to replacing the turbo a year ago. I'm doing the timing belt/WP this week, after that I hope to make it to 200k without any other major repairs...fingers crossed!

160k+ and she's wearing down but not out... needs another clutch and new suspension but still on stock turbo and Stg2 since 100k or so.
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

It's not surprising the Accord was #1. My wife's had 250K+ when we sold it and I know 3 others that went 250K+. My '94 Camry went 243K+ too. That said, I know Subie owners with 250k+ and if well cared for, even the turbos could go 200K+.

I was planning on keeping my '98 LGT for 200K+, until it got creamed from the rear and totaled.

I was also planning on keeping my '05 LGT for 200K+, until my son decided he wanted to buy it from me.

I'm now planning on keeping my '07 Tribeca till it dies (or gets too expensive to keep running). Currently just under 150K and running strong.

I'm now planning on keeping my '07 Tribeca till it dies (or gets too expensive to keep running). Currently just under 150K and running strong.

Consider high depreciation cost of the new car also.

Per consumer report, "it is almost always less expensive to hang on to your current car than to buy a new one. Even the most-expensive repair bills for an old car can't outweigh the cost of depreciation on a new one."

source: What that car really costs to own

This is a purely financial argument that does not take in account just getting sick of a car and wanting something new. :redface:

Archived