LegacyGT.com

Forester suspension on gen1 legacy?

So now that I have my '93 leggy wagon running tip-top I thought I would tackle/upgrade the suspension and brakes. Lets start with the suspension...

I have a '93 wagon, AWD, automatic. I am looking to get a little more clearance for larger rims/tires.

I picked up a full set of struts and springs off a '99 forester with low miles from my local salvage yard, complete units.

I am finding all kinds of varying info on this swap and was wondering if someone could help me out, point me to a link where someone has done this and documented it, or would like to share their experience.

Thanks-

well, considering stock tire size being 185/70r14 is around 24" diameter (give or take a couple tenths), i run 195/75r14 douglas xtra trac II tires and they are (according to specs) 25.5" in diameter, and they have good clearance. If you go to the 15" forester wheels (which is what i want badly!!!), the alternate size to stock is 195/60r15, you should be able to get a 205/55r16 or 205/60r16. 195/75/14 tires fit the wheel well pretty good...

Hello;

I would keep the offset as close to stock as possible. The original wheel bearings/hubs are not designed to handle the wheels being hung out. Steven.

What if the wheel bearings and hubs were replaced with the outbacks? Can I just pop them straight on or do I need to get the entire outback axel with it too?

Hello;

If I was doing this, the whole shebang would be replaced. I would go with the larger brakes and tires/wheels. The tape measure is your best friend and measure every component. I think the knuckles are the most important part here. Disc brake mount, bearing/hub/axle, ball joint, and strut all attach here. Are these the same, who knows? Steven.

• 2 weeks later...

205/55/16 are a direct swap no mods needed..http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee110/bcmaxx/2013-02-22092357_zps787d3872.jpg

any front brakes will bolt up front, I have wrx brembo's to install next time in in there, the rear will need adapter brackets. I just ordered my camber bolts so I'll post up when my forester lift is in

SWAP IN PROGRESS! with 02 forester struts, ass end ended up way high like 2 inch, hoping it settles some, currently getting aligned, fingers crosses they get enough adjustment out of the rear. I have a set of 225/5517, 225/60/16 and 215/65/16 to fit to decide my size before I buy anything. from here to the alignment shop it rode great, have a good feeling about it

SWAP IN PROGRESS! with 02 forester struts, ass end ended up way high like 2 inch, hoping it settles some, currently getting aligned, fingers crosses they get enough adjustment out of the rear. I have a set of 225/5517, 225/60/16 and 215/65/16 to fit to decide my size before I buy anything. from here to the alignment shop it rode great, have a good feeling about it

I would love to see pics of the light brackets, mounting points, etc. Looking to do something similar this month.

Also, did you only use the Forester struts and all the rest of your stock parts? Did it level out?

here ya are:: http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee110/bcmaxx/2013-03-04115207_zpsb351da2a.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee110/bcmaxx/2013-03-04115143_zpsedf0413e.jpg

Yes, 02 forester, fronts fom strut to mount, rears had to swap legacy spring seat and mount on to forester setup. fron sway bar still stock, working on a rear swaybar solution, will post up when I fix it ( currently disconnected) I'd Like to make some front sway bar disconnects too for offroad. The rear ended up a little higher than I like so I'm going to robably add some spacers up front. : http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee110/bcmaxx/2013-03-04115128_zps8100f2c7.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee110/bcmaxx/2013-03-02174103_zps7a01243e.jpg ( subiflex!!)

so 225/60/16 fit nice without and rubbing or contact, but I'll go a little skinnier,

Thank for the light bracket pictures, I figured thats what you did.

I think the lift looks good, it doesn't look like it sits to high in the back from the pics.

Just to be clear, you mounted the entire forester spring/strut/mount in the front, but in the back you only added the forester strut and kept all the stock parts outside of that? Right?

hmm, ok maybe I'll just leave it for now and see if I like it, I can add a spacer anytime. In the front forester everything, just installed it. In the rear forester rear struts and forester coils, legacy spring seats and legacy mounts. I added 2 degree cam bolts front and rear and that was enough to get it aligned :)

Archived