LegacyGT.com

Upper Head Gasket replacement

Why replace the head gaskets unless they are failing? If they aren't then don't bother doing it as a preventative measure. What reasons did the garage give you to suggest the head gaskets need to be replaced?

If the car is running fine and not overheating then don't waste your money. If they are going bad, you will get a lot more life out of your engine.

How is the car running? Smoke coming out of the exhaust? Leaking coolant? Overheating? Loss of power?

do not touch the head gaskets on the 2.2L engine until absolutely necessary. it is expensive, generally speaking, and most ej22s go to the parts yard on original head gaskets.

the valve cover gaskets, on the other hand, are a completely different story. they are cheap and will leak oil when they get old.

did he quote a price?

Why replace the head gaskets unless they are failing? If they aren't then don't bother doing it as a preventative measure. What reasons did the garage give you to suggest the head gaskets need to be replaced?

If the car is running fine and not overheating then don't waste your money. If they are going bad, you will get a lot more life out of your engine.

How is the car running? Smoke coming out of the exhaust? Leaking coolant? Overheating? Loss of power?

None of the above it really is running well so thanks but I will check for any increased use of oil. Now it needs none when I change it every 3000 miles. Thanks again Pete

None of the above it really is running well so thanks but I will check for any increased use of oil. Now it needs none when I change it every 3000 miles. Thanks again Pete

From the way you describe it, that 2.2 is a well running piece of machinery.

Just keep doing maintenance as usual & don't beat on it.

It will last much longer than it has up to this point.

Archived