LegacyGT.com

IPT Valve Body

fishbone

Don't mean to pull another "starting this thread a month before" :lol:

Well, after (too) much debate and consideration I'm ready to take the plunge. 5EAT VB modding time. Loan officer (wife) gave me the stamp of approval (it'll be the last thing you ever do to it :lol::rolleyes:) so I've started the process. Called my shop and scheduled to drop the car off Sunday afternoon so they pull the VB early Monday morning and I will be shipping it off to IPT.

Called IPT and talked to Jon who pretty much told me to send it in and once they get it, we'll be in touch. I think I caught Jon way too early for him or before he's had his coffee, but he was rather ... "blah". When I last talked to Ty, he was much more lively and talkative and willing to explain what's what, how it'll work, etc :lol:

I will also be doing a Blackstone analysis on the ATF which will most likely be sorely inconclusive because of the fact that I haven't done a proper "flush", just 4.5 quart drains. One at 56K miles on June 08 and another at 60K miles on Oct 08. Nevertheless, I want to see what the wear levels are at. I'm suspecting one of them will be higher than normal based on the fact I had a tranny cooler installed. We shall see.

So I'll keep you guys in the loop on how things are going and what I think of it once I have it installed. I can't wait, although Jon kinda bummed me out :(

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, wrap that VB well, and even consider using double boxes (VB wrapped up in small box, then put into a bigger padded box). Most of the components on the VB are non-replaceable per IPT and a couple Subie dealer parts folks I talked to. If something was damaged, then most likely it's new VB time.

That's what I was told as well. The solenoids are especially prone to getting broken. I should have something around here to make sure it's padded right. I've got bubble wrap, styrofoam peanuts, etc. I just hope I have the right-sized box.

I'm debating if I should do FedEx or just plain USPS. Been sending plenty stuff with USPS, even overseas, never had a problem. FedEx tosses them packages just as bad. I'll label it as fragile.

I can't wait!

Yes, wrap that VB well, and even consider using double boxes (VB wrapped up in small box, then put into a bigger padded box). Most of the components on the VB are non-replaceable per IPT and a couple Subie dealer parts folks I talked to. If something was damaged, then most likely it's new VB time.

I banned a member for poor shipping and then not owning up to the damage he did (by not properly shipping the item).

I think HLS can tell you how much bubble wrap, plastic bags, boxes, etc that we shipped VB's back and forth. I had to send him my modded VB and he had to send me his stocker back. :lol: Both arrived in great working condition, so all is well!

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

As much as it takes to get her done.

I guess I'll know once I actually see the valve body how to wrap it and package it.

I have pics if you need....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/trdvibe/2005%20Subaru%20Legacy%20GT/6713bf44.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/trdvibe/2005%20Subaru%20Legacy%20GT/700f821c.jpg

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Got some boxes of different sizes, I think I can fit one inside another. I got plenty of peanuts and can also get large bubble wrap.

Dropped the car off at the shop (and pulled a sample for ATF UOA as well :D ), the guys will pull the VB down tomorrow morning and I'll ship it. There's no turning back now ;)

Some of you may disagree with this but I'm going with USPS. I've shipped a LOT of packages through them, even overseas, never had a problem. I've seen enough YouTube videos of FedEx guys tossing packages to realize they're just about the same ;) Gonna save some money that way and I'll insure for $800, with tracking #.

Lets put it this way, all of the bugs should have already been figured out. I had to deal with neck breaking 1st to 2nd gear shifts (under light throttle conditions).

Jerseyglock,

Thanks for offering up your car to pioneer the way for this modification. I believe I had the 3rd VB done by IPT for the LGT (or one of the very early ones anyways) and mine was perfect from the beginning. This mod is really noticible under WOT shifting for my car. If had had to do it all again I would have put it on at stage2 as a precautionary measure and performance improvement.

Just got back from USPS, VB packed and shipped. Came up to little under $100 for overnight, insured for $850, tracking #. Guaranteed to be at IPT's doorstep by noon tomorrow.

I put the VB in a bag, the bag wrapped in a towel, the towel wrapped in bubblewrap, put in a box, then that box put in another larger box with a layer of packing peanuts and some more bubble wrap. Here are pics.

The VB in all it's splendor (pics to prove condition prior to shipping, if I had to, God forbid)

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/8281/1000741.th.jpg

VB in bag and wrapped in my wife's favorite, fluffiest towel the size of a small country

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/3820/1000749.th.jpg

VB box with bubble wrap

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/9025/1000750.th.jpg

Final box, with smaller box inside. My assistant can be spotted in the background. She always helps when I work on the car by stealing wrenches, nuts, etc ...

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/3654/1000753.th.jpg

So how did I do?

I looked the USPS lady in the eye and told her "if you break my solenoids, I break someone's neck". No, not really, but I'm pretty sure it's safe from damage the way I packed it. I just hope I didn't overdo it and end up damaging due to too much packing material/pressure. It's not way tight, just basically well packaged. I asked the lady to put "FRAGILE" on it but she wouldn't. She asked if it's glass inside, to which I responded well ... it is like glass :D At least she labeled "This side up" so the monkeys don't end up making the whole VB rest upside down on them solenoids. The other side seems to be pretty clear of components, nothing really there to damage. I hope.

Stay tuned for updates. Hopefully IPT will have it done and shipped tomorrow.

Being that I'm very anal retentive in this regard and also that I have a tranny mount which makes the tranny's behavior that much more obvious, I should be able to tell what kind of difference it made. Also, the day it's all said and done I am going straight to the dealer and having the TCU reset. It better cure the crappy coasting-the-clutches behavior I'm seeing now or else I'm going to deem it not worth it. 100% my tranny was not displaying any signs of fatigue.

Archived