LegacyGT.com

Jackal's 20g to 18g e85 Soap Opera

This is very true and something I was aware of when I was reading through some of the stickies over at NASIOC. One of the reasons I was so keen to go to an EWG is that it mentions that an EWG is even more effective in scenarios where you have a smaller turbine (TD05) with a bigger compressor (20G).

An EWG is a bit of a bandaid solution to not enough hotside but it sure is better than trying to cram a TD06 (or larger!) wheel into that P18 housing! And of course nothing does smoother boost control than a properly sized EWG ;)

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After driving my friends 2015 WRX with the STi Performance Exhaust upgrade, I decided that a little more noise may not be a bad thing if it was tasteful. I picked up a complete Borla CBE (currently installed) and will be attempting to mellow it slightly with the Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator.

For fun, I may take it to the dyno again this spring just to see what the actual gains were.

• 3 months later...

Planning to get back to the dyno next week just to quantify the gains from going with a full CBE as opposed to just the downpipe. I realize it will be purely informational but I would really like to know what actual improvements there are to opening up the exhaust beyond just sound/appearance and $80 is cheap data.

I will also try to get both old and new dyno plots overlayed so performance impact over the RPM range can be better understood.

You will get something useful. After some more tests I figured out that the Y-pipe is a bit restrictive past stg2.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

You will get something useful. After some more tests I figured out that the Y-pipe is a bit restrictive past stg2.

Interesting. In my case, I may not have the most open-flowing aftermarket system because Borla goes from a 3" midpipe to 2.25" individual pipes at the 'Y'. I believe some other systems hold a 2.5" diameter at the 'Y'.

Interesting. In my case, I may not have the most open-flowing aftermarket system because Borla goes from a 3" midpipe to 2.25" individual pipes at the 'Y'. I believe some other systems hold a 2.5" diameter at the 'Y'.

Nameless also goes from 3 to 2.25. You really don't need anything more as Rutchard pointed out.

In order to more clearly show what mods produced what performance, I plotted my current data in Excel and added some notes. Dyno date is set for Thursday, 4/9, so I'll add that data to this graph after the session is complete.

Capture.JPG.79b0553d7badf8ca059cc5b487929fe9.JPG

Edited by jackal8788

It's not so much the diameter of the pipes involved with the stock system, it's the way they are just squished and shoved together in the joint there... absolutely horrible. Cut your stock one open and you'll see what I mean. Schoolkids would have done better. Edited by fahr_side

• 2 weeks later...
While obviously not complete, this is what we had for data before my engine threw a code and disallowed us from completing the dyno pulls. Overall, it does appear that the stock CBE was hindering performance as the average gains toward the peak are around 14%. Once I can get back on the dyno, I'll post a full plot but this does make me curious how the curves will finish out.

Capture.thumb.JPG.775ae41715e23a28648fd4d61407e03e.JPG

P0108 - MAP/Barometric Pressure Circuit High Input

Based on the data, we tipped just over 24 PSI (target is 23.5 PSI) so that's why the code was thrown. My tuner thought that the stock CBE may have been more restrictive than he anticipated.

Time to go 4 bar?

http://perrinperformance.com/i-13324073-4-bar-map-sensor-for-2005-07-wrx-2004-15-sti.html

So it may be time to entertain the ETS external wastegate manifold. I hit 27 PSI today (which was fun) but it appears to be due to the lack of restriction in my exhaust and of course, the IWG being too small. The WDC cut to 0 in my datalog after hitting the target of 23.5 PSI, but boost creep pushed it to 27.6 PSI.

Thus, we start considering the next step here. From what I've seen, those with EWG are all running the ETS manifold - true? Any comments/recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thus, we start considering the next step here. From what I've seen, those with EWG are all running the ETS manifold - true?

Nope. A few people are running ETS a few people are running the Six Star one and I'm running a custom 1 off fabricated one.