LegacyGT.com

07 pre-wired for Satellite - what's needed?

Sponge

I just bought an 07 GT and I am wondering the same thing. I know you can buy XM things that are compatible for the car through crutchfield, but now with the merger it will be intresting to see what the fuure looks like for hardware. Our best bet is to prob wait 6 months or so and there may be universal satelite radio kits that will work directly for the Legacy.

Yeah if you read some of the merger posts then you would realize that there wont be a universal thing, they use two different methods of sending the signals so it wont work like that. I think your only chance is if the 08 sirus units work on the 07s because i know in 08 they are offering both on the LGTs.

:dm: 2007 DGM LGT :dm:

:icon_twis 2003 Suzuki SV650S :icon_twis

My advice would be to stay away from the Subaru XM option for the 07. The price is outrageous, and it's an older model XM tuner ( newer tuners scroll information about songs, etc... this one is fixed info.). The XM puck is huge compared to the newer models. Cost plus install is over $500. On the plus side, the receptions is fairly good, and integrates well with the rest of the Subaru radio system. This was done on a 07 SpecB, so not sure about other models.

I received the merger info as well, but I doubt anything will be noticeable until after Fall 08.

I saw the factory XM kit on one of the Legacy's on the lot and thought it was a cheap install on a trade in :lol: . I think that equipment in the future will work out because it will be only one satellite company. Best bet is to prob stick it out for a few more months.

The install of the XM system in the O7 SpecB was fairly complex (I have a .pdf of the install somewhere). Most of the radio is removed to get to the plug in point behind the radio. This will allow the presets on the dash to be used, as well as display of the data.

You can plug anything into the AUX plug, and play through the radio. If you have a portable XM unit, it will work just fine. The antenna can be mounted anywhere with a view of the sky. The Subaru unit mounts behind the passenger visor, on the window. You can just lay the antenna on the dash, and get decent reception. You will still get the music, just not the convenience.

I have the OEM XM. It's pretty nice. I thought I'd miss the extra display data, but it doesn't really matter. I don't channel flip too much, so the channel name and song titles don't matter to much to me. I usually leave it on "Artist Name"

However, I haven't had it long enough to get through a baseball season yet. That could be a problem. I'm a little concerned with not being able to find a game or see the updating stats. I guess only time will tell.

As far as the antenna. It's up in the top of the window on the passenger side. It's in the area that's tinted. You can barely see it. It's larger than others that I've had, but for a clean install, it's worth it.

Cost was high ($500 installed), but for a new car, I didn't want FM transmitters or exposed wires. I don't like mounting big things to the windshield, so this was the best option. Audio quality is really good.

I'm really hoping that with the merger, I'm not stuck with hardware that doesn't work. From what I've read, it's at least a year or two before we'd see any impacts to programming or hardware.

The OEM kits are expensive because the cost includes the tuner, antenna, and proprietary head unit interface. The head-unit itself is only "pre-wired" and has control capability. I seriously doubt there is any compatibility with aftermarket hardware.

I would be hesitant buying an OEM kit now, especially with the XM/Sirius merger looming. Early reports say they may combine formats in a new technology which would make any existing hardware obsolete.

Go find a reasonably priced aftermarket unit at Best Buy (<$100) and stick it in the storage cubby above the temp gauge, and run a line-out to your AUX-IN (07) or Jazzy's makeshift Aux-In (05-06) with a Y-splitter so you can plug your iPod in too. Maybe not as pretty, but all around the most versatile and inexpensive. You won't be kicking yourself when the satellite monopoly goes into effect, and you'll keep a little scratch in your wallet.

^that's what I am thinking...I have Y-splitter already and I won't have to take the dash apart either to install it.

W/the I-Pod, 6 disc changer, and Chicago stations i am going to wait to install and activate it because I don't know if I need it...

Thanks for your input everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Any update on what's going on with the XM Radio's after the merger? I actually just rented a car on a business trip (Cobalt, ugh) and it had XM pre-installed. I have only used FM Transmitter versions and having it pre-wired made a HUGE difference. It sold me in wanting this in my Legacy... but I don't want to get hosed in 6 months.

Should I just stick with my iPod for now?

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy][B]"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'." -Jedi Master Yoda (I believe he was talking about the search tool)[URL="http://specb.jerkerstudios.com/"][/URL] [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Here's the "statement" from Sirius.

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/Page&c=FlexContent&cid=1172002269210

And likewise from XM

http://www.xmradio.com/merger/promise.xmc

What they DON'T mention or answer concretely is any loss of functionality of hardware. They seem to imply it will not become obsolete, but leave out details that would insinuate they would function fully.

Wait and see I guess...

Archived