LegacyGT.com

How do you disable ABS

• I Donated

To disable ABS, I pull out the ABS relay. Its in a black box close to the horn (behind the passenger headlight under the hood).

As far as your issue, an ABS problem will not prevent your car from starting. Sounds to me like when you roll the key on, only the ABS light turns on (not the check engine, oil pressure, etc?). Check in the fuse box under the hood right behind the battery. There are two green fusible links with clear tops on them. One of them is for all your accessories (power windows/locks, radio, lights, etc....and the other is for the ECU. I forget what one is what. Check both of them. Sounds like to me the ECU fusible link got blown.

Also, if you have a code reader, see if you can pull any codes or even communicate with the ECU. That will help narrow down problems as well.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I don't know whats going on with my car I pulled the fuses and it started and ran for about an hour put the fuses in and same thing again no lights going to leave the fuses out.

Thanks broknindarkagain for the info.

• 2 weeks later...
As long as it runs I'm happy.

also I hate ABS.

Why do you hate ABS? Unless you are literally tracking your car, you shouldn't really have a reason to hate it. It's not that intrusive. I've got fairly sticky summer tires on my car and it really takes me SLAMMING on the brakes to lock a tire. Even when I do reach that point, the ABS on these cars is pretty good about just doing enough to keep the tire from locking and nothing more. You can say all you want about how awesome you are at "threshold braking" but for a daily driver, there really isn't a reason to not have ABS.

Why do you hate ABS? Unless you are literally tracking your car, you shouldn't really have a reason to hate it. It's not that intrusive. I've got fairly sticky summer tires on my car and it really takes me SLAMMING on the brakes to lock a tire. Even when I do reach that point, the ABS on these cars is pretty good about just doing enough to keep the tire from locking and nothing more. You can say all you want about how awesome you are at "threshold braking" but for a daily driver, there really isn't a reason to not have ABS.

My ABS is twitchy as hell on snow/ice

Well it is doing its job. It's going to be easy to activate on snow and ice because it is easy to lock up your wheels on those surfaces. I was referring to wet/dry pavement.

Even on snow and ice, the ABS is still doing what it's supposed to. There are occasional situations where no ABS would make things better, but most incidents of slamming on the brakes on slippery roads are solved by steering around the obstacle, not coming to a slightly shorter stop without steering. The first thing I do on snowy roads is find out just what kind of snow I am dealing with. The ABS is a great way to test exactly how much grip you have. Use the ABS as a "lockup indicator" and then modulate pedal pressure from there. That's how I drive in the winter.

I have more snow/ice driving experience than just about anyone here and I still would rather have the ABS working on my car.

the only time i hate ABS is when its working, but not totally correctly. the only way you find out about those issues is during use. my dodge truck was notorious for that, sometimes it would lurch and literally bounce the truck all over while cycling the brakes. definitely dangerous, and hard to control when it does happen. that truck almost got an ABS delete.

I just wanted it disabled temporarily seeing yesterday I finished a engine trans and suspension upgrade to it.

Archived