LegacyGT.com

Looking for cheap dedicated autoX wheels

Strabismo

So I'm looking into some cheap dedicated autoX wheels. Looks doesn't matter since it is just for autoX.

Weight is somewhat important but not as important as the strength of the wheel as I don't want it to bend/break during hard driving.

I was thinking about the following options:

-Buy stock LGT wheels. Cheap, readily available. Not sure about strength though.

-Buy cheap steel rims. The'll definitely be cheap, available and strong enough but also ridiculously heavy.

-Buy rota wheels. A bit less cheap as the first two options but the horror stories circulating around about their strength scares me away from using these for autoX a bit.

Any other options?

If it's just for autox, i would go with whatever you think looks good that you can afford. If price is your concern, just get some Rotas or stock LGT wheels, and spend more on good tires.

Auto-x only wont' break your wheels. Going 80+ over deep hwy potholes or into a curb will.

I'm guessing, just because I was thinking about this route as well, that the OP is looking for a set of rims that he can change out for the track, so that he wont have to swap tires when he wants to auto-x. I'd personally like to have 2 sets of rims just for that option. No need to change out the tires all the time, swap the new rims with tires on for auto-x and be done with it. When you're done for the day, swap back and ride home smooth. :)
If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

tirerack.com often has closeouts on discontinued rims. you might want to check over there. right now they have 17" and 18" rims for $99 a piece.

what size rims are you looking for, or what class are you running in autox?

I want to fit my old 225-45-17 RE01-R's on them. They won't pass safety inspection anymore but there's still some life left in them for a whole bunch of autoX events.

They came with the STI BBS wheels I bought earlier (dedicated summer wheels, stock rims for winter) and although they're awesome for autoX, they're just completely overkill, too stiff and too noisy for daily driving so I thought it would be a good idea to just have a dedicated set of tires for autoX and softer, comfier tires for daily driving.

Another set of STI BBS would be nice but way too expensive. I'm looking for something very cheap. I'm not that seriously into autoX to spend too much money in it. I already have other expensive hobbies.

thanks for looking out P!!!

I do have a set of Drag DR19's i'm selling. shoot me a pm for details if interested.

c-lo has a cheap set for sale
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchWheelsByVehicleAndSize.do?bp=&yr=2005&wd=17&rw=&vid=009190

I'd recommend the 5zigen FN01R-C. I think you can find it cheaper than what discounttire sells it for. It's an inexpensive, quality wheel

http://www.1010tires.com/wheel.asp?wheelmodel=FN01R-C+Hot+Version+-+Face+Polish&wheelbrand=5-Zigen

$800 for 17x8 +48 5x100 17 lb each, which would be nice for autox

I'm looking into 17X7.5 Sport Edition CE wheels because they're dirt cheap and appear to be strong enough for the job. They're probably a bit on the heavy side but it can't be that bad. Anyone know the weight of these? Also, they look nice.

I don't want to go with tirerack because they ship only via UPS and this means you get f*cked up the ass when they give you the "brokerage and handling fees" bill when you receive them. The amound they charge is never predictable and can go over 100% of the purchase value. This is disgusting.

I'll probably get them from 1010tires.

Archived