LegacyGT.com

Kicker 6.5 Free Air "Rear Deck" Install w/Pics

duc

I have seen a few post on people wanting to upgrade there sub and figured I would share my experiences if it helps.

I reviewed multiple posts on here where people were installing 8" subs or shallow mounts in there rear deck. Only once did I see anyone mention the kicker 6.5" free air and I believe that gentleman sent it back for a refund.

It was a fairly easy install with minimal design. I traced the gold plate that seated the oem sub to a piece of plywood, lined up the screw holes to mount it back to the rear deck and made the cutout in the center where oem sub would go since the Kicker was smaller. The hardest thing was getting the rear deck panel out and removing the sides and bottom of the back seat.

All I needed was a jig saw, a drill, 1/4" piece of plywood and some dynomat.

Originally I had it running off the stock HK amp it sounded ok, you could tell it had a little more punch than the oem sub but it definitely likes more power than the HK amp can give it.

I'm testing a Soundstream ST1-700D mini mono amp this week and will keep you guys posted if interested. If it goes as planned this will be mounted behind the headunit using the same power and ground. I already ran wire from the trunk to back of the headunit while I had the seat out.

Here are some pics

top.jpg.ca277f101e8bee436c2c16a5a9924b10.jpg

bar.thumb.jpg.5f3b92dcd921996ab953dda066afc7e1.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.8baf6bb42e69ae799da40c3a512cdd3f.jpg

I was thinking of doing something like this with an 8 inch sub.

I would if you want a bit more boom... Just make sure it doesn't hit the torsion bars when the trunk is closed. There is a guy on here that installed a full size 8" with a pretty big magnet. It was narrow around but pretty deep.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived