LegacyGT.com

tpms question

blackinches

You can use the old ones. If you use the old ones, then the light on the dash will stay off because the TPMS box still has those 4 sensors registered with it. If you get new ones, the only way to reset the system and register the new sensors is to take it to the dealer. Subaru did not include a way to do it yourself (which pretty much sucks).

To get to the sensors you have to let all the air out of the tire, undo the small nut that sits around the outside of the valvestem, push the valvestem into the tire (the actuall sensor is attached to the valvestem inside the tire) and then unmount the tire from the rim. It's probably easier to let the place mounting the tires do that. The sensors will work with larger tires or rims as long as they can mount into the rims. Some rims weren't made with TPMS sensors in mind so they might not be able to mount up.

• 11 months later...
Are these special valve stems or will a discount tire have them. I just bought an 08 Spec B and i have the TPMS loose in my trunk and i am getting new tires installed today!!! Do i need to go to the suby dealer first?

The Ultraleggeras I got from TireRack included (Subaru compatible) TPMS sensors, so they'll work in those tires. Getting the new sensors to work with the car, though, requires a trip to the dealer and paying whatever they charge for the reset. HPH

Are these special valve stems or will a discount tire have them. I just bought an 08 Spec B and i have the TPMS loose in my trunk and i am getting new tires installed today!!! Do i need to go to the suby dealer first?

If these are the ones that came off the car no reset needed. Here's a useful link from Cars101 Joe Spitz's site...Everything you ever wanted to know about new and old Subies... http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tiremonitor.html

• 1 year later...
Nevermind y'all, I just read gb003a's matrix. :( anyone have the TPMS module for sale?

Are you thinking retrofit? I don't think it'd be an easy thing to do. You won't have the dash light and the TMPS computer talks to the BIU (body integrated unit?), so you'd need both of those plus the harness that goes in between them.

Archived