LegacyGT.com

AVO boost actuator?

Merc6

• 4 weeks later...
AVO boost actuator provides a steady 15psi from the factory turbo. AVO boost actuator improves boost response while ensuring boost is maintained at a preset level, resulting in increased torque and hp. Where the factory actuator drops boost as the revs rise, the AVO actuator delivers constant boost all the way to redline and beyond. An extremely safe, reliable and effective means of raising your boost level.

• 1 year later...

Been a while since I came back. Got it on and:

*Does what it says, it goes to 15 and stays. Stock would fight me 4 psi where this fluently climbs. Not gonna say I gained 500 awhp but it was noticeable over stock

*Do need to adjust and tune for it. As out the box as it could get I managed to hit 22 psi in 1st gear. I didn't trust the E tuner with this task so I went local tuner in md.

I remember I asked Dan at Mach V about boost actuators and he said that they were all gimmicks. He said the stock one from Subaru was perfect as it was. But now I see Merc6 saying something different.

Can you provide a dyno graph please? I am still not convinced. Namely because when people put on a new part on their engine or suspension, they have a self-fulfilling prophecy that comes true because they convince themselves it really is working to justify the purchase and mod.

I'd like to take a look at some graphs first.

I remember I asked Dan at Mach V about boost actuators and he said that they were all gimmicks.

That's a stupid thing to say if said in general terms. Many turbos when pushed more need a stiffer gate, because otherwise the gate opens prematurely and you can't built as much boost as quickly. Stock actuator was designed with stock boost levels in mind.

I remember I asked Dan at Mach V about boost actuators and he said that they were all gimmicks. He said the stock one from Subaru was perfect as it was. But now I see Merc6 saying something different.

Can you provide a dyno graph please? I am still not convinced. Namely because when people put on a new part on their engine or suspension, they have a self-fulfilling prophecy that comes true because they convince themselves it really is working to justify the purchase and mod.

I'd like to take a look at some graphs first.

No dyno sheets (of mine) but boost gauge shows it. Timeslips before and after that single mod but I went with a different tuner and different tracks(TDC to DPS and from MIR to Capital) so the next numbers you see are also moot. Before actuator I was 13.8 1/4 track after 13.5 1/4 track. I'll try and find a video in my library or make one tomorrow of how fast it goes from 20 vac on. With the stock wga on a 19 psi TDC tune it fought like hell from 5 psi on. You could hear the flutter around 3-4 psi from the wastegate. With this actuator, I try to fight how fast it reaches 15 psi in normal everyday driving situations. Stock wga with same TDC 19 psi tune would tap 19 psi and fall back down to 13-14 just before the 5eat would shift. Now it races to 15 psi and holds 15 psi solid thru the shifts.

I guess it would help to say what mods it had when those drags were done.

*STi UP

*Stromungs divorced wastegate dp front/Perrin catted DP rear

*PERRIN TMIC

*AEM CAI

*Mid pipe resonator straight piped

*Xo2 Mufflers

*Tune TDC

2nd run add to above list...

*AVO 15 psi VF40 awga

*Tune DPS

The downpipe arrangement was cause the Stromung came with the car. Will be going racepipe and another custom mid+y+muffler+tips swap when I can get back to Maryland for a tune.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived