LegacyGT.com

OEM vs. Aftermarket Brake Longevity Question

Living Legacy

Anyone else ever notice that you'll get GREAT life out of the original brakes but the next set you purchase (even when you don't cheap out) last a fraction of the time?

I've got an '05 GT that I replaced the brakes on around 80K. I was using them heavily and they never complained until I noticed some vibration. I replaced the OEM brakes with Centric Premium blanks and some Bobcat 1421(?) pads from Fred Beans. $500 and less than 20K miles later the damn brakes vibrate again - and I'm less abusive on them than before!

This isn't the only car I've noticed this on... am I the only one? Should I have used some different parts? :mad:

Thanks for the help guys!

Bobcat 1521 is a Carbotech compound. Some of us in the Miata crowd who have tracked our cars with various Carbotech pads (XP series) have noticed issues with the transfer layer becoming uneven over time, building up deposits unevenly as Mr. Sinister suggests. Kind of feels like a warped rotor but isn't. My XP10s and XP8s have been quite rotor friendly, stop decently well even when cold (streetable without being dangerous), have a non-corrosive dust, modulate well, etc. But the transfer layer issues piss me off and it kind of goes with the manufacturer's "house flavor" based on my and others' experience.

You can try taking a scotch brite pad to the rotors and re-bedding, and see how much improvement that makes. But it will probably happen again sooner or later, it's just the nature of that friction material. Hawk HPS is another decent streetable pad from a good manufacturer and they aren't known for developing uneven transfer layers AFAIK.

You guys hit the nail on the head, I'm referring to build up of deposits from brake pads, the pads (and likely the rotors) haven't worn out.

I'll re-bed the pads and see if that helps.

Good to know that this is typical of Bobcat pads, I'm never getting them again!

Anyone know what the minimum thickness of a rotors is in order to be able to resurface them? I'm thinking that might be the easiest thing to do, if I don't do this I'll give the scotch bright pads a chance.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Standard thickness for front rotors is 30mm, minimum is 28mm.

I should probably just check my vacation pics but I'd assume that means if the fronts are greater than 30 mm they can be resurfaced (30 mm is the requirement before surfacing, not after).

Thanks for the help!

Archived