LegacyGT.com

spec. b swap issue

ruggerheist

long story short, car would barely move this morning. thought i had somehow worn out my clutch or possibly detonated 1st gear. had it towed and found that my right rear axel has pulled out of the diff. and wont stay in, yet the left rear axel stays put fine. all 4 axles were swapped to the spec b but only the front hubs were swapped, the rears are still GT. we also measured the length and found that the GT axles are an inch longer than the spec. b. any recommendations from the community? should we swap out the rear hubs? or could we get away with putting the old axle back in?

So you swapped an R180 with Spec-B axles, right?

The R160 axles are longer, because the diff is narrower.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

If the diff was swapped, and the axles were swapped, then your issue is likely on the axle.

IIRC there is a circlip on the stub of the axle shaft. Is that clip still there?

To pop the stub back into the diff (assuming the clip is still there), you need a very large pry bar. If that clip is missing, then it's inside the diff (or it was never there at all) and you'll have to remove the diff cover to fish it out.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

thats the thing the clip is MIA on all the spec b and gt axles and running the vin turns up an unserviceable part on both my gt and a spec b we had a vin for, meaning its non existant in our vehicles yet there is a space on the axle where the clip is put. the shop is popping the cover off the diff monday to see if maybe the clip fell off into the diff... any other suggestions to keep in mind?

ok so heres the situation... BAC you were right but we originally thought the clip actually went ON the axle but its housed inside the rear diff. so when the guy i got my tranny from wrecked, his back end swung out and hit a tree on the right side i think causing the axel to jam into the diff, spreading the clip out loosing its tension. so when we did the swap and it didnt hold it was because the inside clip wasnt tight enough to catch and hold. by taking the diff cover off he could access the clip and tighten it up (im thinking with plyers) and it now holds fine

Archived