LegacyGT.com

iPod nano firmware breaks iPod interface kit?

bakasama

Have the iPod Impreza interface kit installed and it has been working for a couple of months now.

By chance, I hooked my iPod up to sync some new stuff this morning, and was notified that a new firmware(1.1) was available that 'fixed bugs' and added iTunes movie rental support.

When I hooked it back to my car, I discovered that it no longer shuts down when I turn off the car.

Anyone else seen this issue? I dropped a line to Subaru for information.

-Jim

(AKA 09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0)

Thanks Seb for the informative and helpful post! :rolleyes:

Why don't you go back to your "looking for a job" thread!

Try turning off the iPod completely and restarting it and see what happens.

X

---

Have the iPod Impreza interface kit installed and it has been working for a couple of months now.

By chance, I hooked my iPod up to sync some new stuff this morning, and was notified that a new firmware(1.1) was available that 'fixed bugs' and added iTunes movie rental support.

When I hooked it back to my car, I discovered that it no longer shuts down when I turn off the car.

I noticed that as well -- your thread title scared me, tho!!! :lol:

I also noticed that half of my podcasts don't have the resume where I left feature anymore even though it is still there when I look at the "properties" of the file in iTunes...

I noticed that as well -- your thread title scared me, tho!!! :lol:

Sorry to scare. I don't thing I can change the title. :redface:

So, quick update. I do believe I did attempt a restore (toggle hold, and hold select+menu until reset) but I cannot remember if I tried it in the car after that.

I was successful in rolling back the firmware to 1.0.3. However, I have not yet attempted it in the car. Will confirm as soon as I go somewhere.

Still no response from Subaru. But it is a holiday, so I'm not surprised. If the rollback works, that will keep me going for a while. But people are going to want the upgrade, and Subaru is going to need to do something soon.

I got this thing (iPod) specifically because of the availability of a factory stereo integration kit, and it's ability to bookmark in Audiobook files (for the long commutes). And, if it won't shutdown when I turn off the car, I can look forward to it playing itself out over the next 12 hours until I get back. While I know I could work around it, it requires diligence, and forgetting once would leave me with hours of missed material.

-Jim

I got this thing (iPod) specifically because of the availability of a factory stereo integration kit, and it's ability to bookmark in Audiobook files (for the long commutes). And, if it won't shutdown when I turn off the car, I can look forward to it playing itself out over the next 12 hours until I get back. While I know I could work around it, it requires diligence, and forgetting once would leave me with hours of missed material.

I tried something over my lunch break that seemed to solve this problem, but I still have a couple other issues that I'm hoping Subaru or Apple address:

My "fix" was to hit the power on the stereo before turning off the ignition. I checked on the display and the iPod was paused. I'll verify that it held my "bookmark" when I get back in the car for my drive home.

A couple other nitpicks with latest update:

1. If I leave the iPod connected after powering the car off and return to the car and start up at a later time, the "playlist" feature seems to be deactivated -- it will play through the entire library on my Nano vs. limiting itself the playlist that I had left it in.
  2. My random settings don't stay loaded like they used to - when moving to a new playlist after starting the car, the iPod will play the 1st song in the playlist every time. I then have to once again tell the unit which way I want to shuffle and hit the skip forward button.

These are niggling concerns and only involve a couple pressed buttons to get back the way I like it, but it would be nice if it stayed the way I left it.

:spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :mad:

No, fw1.1 doesn't pause when the car is turned off. Just keeps on playing.

Reverting the firmware left me where I was before the weekend, working. Now I just need to come up with a way for the battery to survive the cold night in the car. I'm thinking of getting one of those iLuv battery packs made for full sized iPods.

-Jim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Resurecting an old thread -- new firmware update fixes this problem. V1.1.2 (Nano 3g) now shuts down when you take the key out of the ignition. I updated last night and tested today.

Just waiting to see what new problems crop up... :lol:

• 1 year later...
I bought and installed the Impreza interface kit on my 07 Shrek B and my wife's 08 LL Bean OBW. Both worked marvelously for over a year until recently. Now both interfaces refuse to recognize that an iPod is attached. Could this be caused by the power adapter and firmware updates?

• 2 months later...

I've got two - one is the 4th gen nano the other is an iPod classic - 30gb. Both are running v 1.3 firmware. Is nobody else having this problem? I find it very odd that both systems failed at the same time. I talked with someone @ Subaru today - but they weren't much help as they told me the kit I installed wouldn't work in either of my cars. As mentioned above, they both worked fine for a year until the v 1.2 firmware... i thought 1.3 would fix it, but no.

Any help out there?

Archived