LegacyGT.com

Sniffles :(

I hope everybody is ok. If you've got a lot of good stuff on it that you can swap to something else later, and you have the room and time of course........and AFTER you haggle with the insurance company and settle on an acceptable figure, ask them what it would cost you to keep it. When my wife got in a fender bender with our trooper, it only cost me three hundred dollars to keep it. I'd imagine the salvage cost for one of our old subies wouldn't be any more than that.

If you've got more than a few hundred in good stuff in and on it, buy it back, strip the motor, wheels, and all the goodies and then call the scrap yard to come pick it up. They will usually give you a couple hundred in scrap value, at least in my area they do!

Good luck, and sorry to hear about another subaru getting taken out!

I feel your pain, the wife tagged a deer just south of Duluth Mn last week with the 99 outback 30th anniversary edition, 220000 miles. nailed the front right corner. took out the hood, fender, headlight,grill and pushed radiator support back on that side about 4". then she drove it home 150 miles and it drives fine! love the soobs.

3500 total damage estimate, ins co called it totaled. bought it back for 571.00 and sold it to a subie nut friend of mine. waiting on the check from insurance co then we go pick up the 02 forester we found and turn the 99 over to its new home

the other girls car must be a total loss her car was an '04 I'd be shocked if that engine did not move.

It sucks with all the work I put in the car... I'm looking for a '05 LGT wagon and down the road I may get another 2nd gen wagon

Sucks. On the bright side, now you're in the market for an 05 LGT wagon. Which is it's own special brand of awesome ;) ... 5MT of course! Don't ignore the possibility of a lowered 05 Outback XT 5MT to broaden your search. Those are super sexy too. Good luck with search!

Trying to find a wagon and a manual might be a little harder.. I really wont be ready to buy until Around November but that might be a hard one because who gives up a Subaru late in the fall?

Not at all. I test drove a couple manual equipped Outbacks and bought one a few weeks ago. There was no shortage of manuals to be found.

Before buying a fourth generation, especially a turbo version, I recommend you jump over to the fourth generation forum. I've learned a lot about the fourth generation from those guys.

Lol I used to work for a Subaru dealership back in '05 so I've driven the LGT and OBXT before :)

However these issues with the motor is a little conserning

Yeah... Folks sending to the used market with marginal maintenance schedule proof should be highly suspect.

But on the flip side of that is there's many documented issues and remedy.

Unfortunately one means replacing the head gaskets... Blown turbo can equal rebuild motor.

Thinking a NA get box may be in my future as an alternate.

Lol I used to work for a Subaru dealership back in '05 so I've driven the LGT and OBXT before :)

However these issues with the motor is a little conserning

From what I've been able to ascertain the normally aspirated car is quite reliable. It's the turbo car which appears to have a known issue with banjo bolt filter.

Apparently if the oil is not changed regularly it can cause this filter to become clogged thus starving the turbo of oil which results in a failed turbo. To further complicate the problem the possibility exists metal from the failed turbo can enter the engine causing engine damage. If that happens you're looking at an engine rebuild along with the turbo replacement.

The suggestion is to remove the banjo bolt filter which, from what I've been able to tell, significantly reduces the possibility of turbo failure. At least catastrophic turbo failure which would result in metal pieces entering the engine.

I just took my Outback XT to a mechanic to have this filter removed (see details in the fourth generation thread if you'd like to know more). After discussions with him he said catastrophic turbo failure which results in metal filings entering the engine are rare unless the driver continues to operate the vehicle once the turbo fails (which he said is very obvious). Thus if the turbo fails and the operator ceases driving the vehicle it's unlikely any other damage to the engine will have resulted.

IMO if you're looking for a low maintenance, lower risk vehicle the normally aspirated fourth generation is probably just as reliable as the second generation. I bought the turbo for the fun factor so I'm willing to accept the higher operational / maintenance costs that come with it.

From what I've been able to ascertain the normally aspirated car is quite reliable. It's the turbo car which appears to have a known issue with banjo bolt filter.

Apparently if the oil is not changed regularly it can cause this filter to become clogged thus starving the turbo of oil which results in a failed turbo. To further complicate the problem the possibility exists metal from the failed turbo can enter the engine causing engine damage. If that happens you're looking at an engine rebuild along with the turbo replacement.

The suggestion is to remove the banjo bolt filter which, from what I've been able to tell, significantly reduces the possibility of turbo failure. At least catastrophic turbo failure which would result in metal pieces entering the engine.

I just took my Outback XT to a mechanic to have this filter removed (see details in the fourth generation thread if you'd like to know more). After discussions with him he said catastrophic turbo failure which results in metal filings entering the engine are rare unless the driver continues to operate the vehicle once the turbo fails (which he said is very obvious). Thus if the turbo fails and the operator ceases driving the vehicle it's unlikely any other damage to the engine will have resulted.

IMO if you're looking for a low maintenance, lower risk vehicle the normally aspirated fourth generation is probably just as reliable as the second generation. I bought the turbo for the fun factor so I'm willing to accept the higher operational / maintenance costs that come with it.

After all I have been doing switching from the ej25d to a ej22e with 25d heads I can deal with the risk of the turbo

Archived