LegacyGT.com

Bought car with SPT Intake Installed

Durkle

I finally found my GT this weekend and I'm loving it!

But I've got some questions:

It has an spt intake with heat shield installed. I've read plenty of stories about these online and I know that the majority are not fans here. I'm not thinking I really like the extra whoosh-sound it adds and would prefer dropping back to the stock air-box. (Stealth speed FTW) But, the car didn't come with it so I'd have to buy one from somewhere (any recommendations?).

I do not know if it was ever tuned to work with the spt. I sure hope so, but that's part of the reason I'd like to remove it. But if it has been tuned and I throw in the airbox, would that be even worse for it?

I'd like to buy an access port but don't have the money now.

What do you suggest? I know very little about tuning (as you can see) but am looking forward to learning much more!

Sell/trade your spt intake in the classified for a stock airbox.

You might find someone who wants to trade.

Otherwise welcome to the forum. Theres alot on info (search button) that can help you make your choices.

Hint: read, read and read before doing anything on your car! (i don't post alot but im here almost everyday)

Hey man! I was in the same spot as you. Keep it on and enjoy it. Once you go stage 2 either put a stock box on, or a legitimate intake: kn, aem etc with a straight tube where the MAF sits. The spt places the MAF at a bend in the pipe and fuel trims go out of whack because of irregular readings. At stock level this isn't really an issue. When you go to stage 2, you should definitely swap it out. I have a stock one now after selling the SPT and have a KN in my garage awaiting install and tune

Im pretty sure the SPT intake does not need a tune for it. Because it is like Subaru approved or something, you can also put it on without ruining the warranty.

But stock air box can prob be found in the FS section for pretty cheap.

The SPT intake sucks. No, it won't ruin the warranty. But it still sucks and is difficult to tune for should you decide to get one. Without a tune, it throws off the MAF reading big time. Do some searching here about the SPT intake. Get a stock intake.

Swap the SPT intake for a stock intake plus cash. It's garbage. Make sure whatever tune is on the car has the correct MAF scaling for the stock intake and if it has the stock map on it, get a proper stage 1 tune. It will make more power, get you better mileage and is safer in the long run than the stock tune.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Thanks for the input! Ok next question:

What's the difference (if any) between loading a map from access port and taking it to get tuned at a shop? I presume that the shop would run it on a dyno and measure/fine tune everything to exactly how you want it. Is there an advantage to doing that besides loading the stage 1 map for the stock intake from the access port?

What about price difference? It's about $500 for the access port, which I could use to go stage 2 if/when I decide to do that as well, yeah? That seems like a better investment to me unless you've got lots of major upgrades to your gt.

Accessport is loaded with Cobb generic maps, which are one-size-fits-all and therefore not very good. You will get better results from a pro tune. A pro tune can be done on the street or on the dyno (for extra $). All of these answers and those to your next twenty questions are in sticky threads which are posted in the appropriate forums.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Archived