LegacyGT.com

CEL + flashing cruise + error 55 ?? help?

LGTPD

Hey everyone..

don’t really post a lot.. mostly read all the wonderful info on here...

anyways.. to the story...

we had our first major snowfall here so I went for a drive to see how this wonderful car would handle the snow... (2006 LGT wagon)

was going up one very slippery hill and didn’t make it up...

ended up sliding backwards and doing a 180...

(I think I’ll be in need of some winter tires )

anyways.. after all that i noticed that the check engine light was on steady and the cruise light was blinking... (emissions error?) and the trip odometer was saying "error 55" or i guess it could have been "error SS":icon_conf

of course its Sunday.. dealers not open so I’ll be making an appointment tomorrow.. but has anyone ever seen this before...?

Thanks for any possible advise...

Paul

rclark,

Sounds like a really good guess....

lol.. i think ive even read that post before...

guess i should have searched a little more, my bad

so hopfully the cel will just go away by its self...

thanks for the reply..

-paul

I think I got something similar once slipping the rear tires on a turn in the rain. I'll bet the CEL and cruise-control lockout will go away after more "use". Mine did after a day or two.

--Lee

Slippage? So will my check engine and cruise be a problem all winter if there's snow on the ground and I'm getting some wheel spin? The light has been on for a week now and I've checked gas cap. Did also get an auto car wash (someone noted problems from water in the hood scoop?). Accessport shows no cels.

Hey all,

for me the CEL went away the next day after driving to work..(25km ish?)

..my "wheel spin" was a quite a bit... sliding backwards down a hill..

Since then I have had some decent spin/slide around corners and no cel...

I would say it has to be some pretty extreme wheel spin to set it off...

but that is just my guess..:lol:

again thanks for the replies

I also noticed cold weather (even without snow/spin) brings it on. I was fine, then temp dropped, started the car, cruise/engine lights came on.

I think it may be 2 pronged: 1) gas tank (expansion/lack of when it's cold making the car think it has a leak...same thing as not having gas cap on tight), 2) wheel spin (when it snows , etc.).

Either way, it's a subaru problem. Now I have to convince the dealer as it's usually a gas cap thing they said. I've been very careful to put 3 or more "clicks" on my gas cap for the last week plus.

If it means reprogramming the ECU, that's bad for all us AP/ECU modded folks.

Again, CEL doesn't show on ECU Explorer software or Cobb AP. Maybe it would at the dealer. I'm at 35,900 miles...warrantee?

...as long as the light goes away the next day... i could careless.. :lol: j/k..

this car is gona give me a freaking heart atack if the CEL comes on every time we get a big dump of snow...

• 4 weeks later...
Indeed it is. Even with my catted Cobb DP I threw the 0420 CEL - Cat Inefficiency (before I flashed stage II). If you're not going to do the EM for a while, search for "Mechanical CEL fix." There's some argument on whether it's a good idea or not, but you can do the resarch and figure it out for yourself.

• 5 weeks later...
This just happened to me. I was sitting (motionless) at a light on a slight hill and the CE light went on steady with a blinking crusie light. Stayed on all the way home and after I restarted the car. It is a MT and there was no wheel slippage. Does the cruise light blink for all codes, or just certian ones?

I think it'll blink on all codes. Well, it's blinked for every code I've ever thrown, and they've been fairly numerous...

If you're not modded I wouldn't worry about this. Mine did it to me for about a month or two while I was stock until it just disappeared on its own. The dealer will just tell you that they can't replicate the problem, so don't even bother with that route.

I am slightly worred because I just bought my 05 used and it has already been in for a CE issue so it would pass NJ inspection. That issue was tumbler valve(s) that had to be replaced The car at the dealer for a week waiting for parts. I did just get gas and since this is NJ I didn't tighten the cap myself. I'll go check that.

Do yourself a huge favor and get a simple OBDII to serial cable, and then download ECUExplorer from tari racing software - it's open source (free). Come to think of it, I haven't used that particular piece of software to pull codes, but I'm fairly sure it'll do it.

Sorry to hear you had to have your TGV's replaced. I could have sold you my set for $100. I hope you didn't get taken.

You can also do a search to find a method to get the car to tell you the code its throwing itself. I never had a need to do this, so I never read up, but for those without a code reader its use is clearly apparent...

I am slightly worred because I just bought my 05 used and it has already been in for a CE issue so it would pass NJ inspection. That issue was tumbler valve(s) that had to be replaced The car at the dealer for a week waiting for parts. I did just get gas and since this is NJ I didn't tighten the cap myself. I'll go check that.

Interesting...I had mine in the shop after weeks of dealing with the check engine light and they said it was the tumbler too (not even sure what that is). They're going to replace it in a week or so. I have my doubts though...I think it may still be related to the gas tank, only because when the temperature outside warms up to say 35 F or so, the light seems to go off. Then when it gets cold, it comes on and stays on.

If this happens again, just have your friendly tuner take the plates out .. and then use the AP to have the code turned off :)

Archived