LegacyGT.com

Shift Linkage Woes

So I know exactly what needs to be done, but execution is the problem. While replacing my clutch cable I finally decided to tackle the sloppy shifter.

I got the roll pins out after some fighting and removed the exhaust heat shield to get a little more room up there.

My plan was to simply remove the console, disconnect the linkage arm from the shifter arm inside the car and then pull the joint and arm still attached off the trans and out of the car.

Then I'd have more room to remove the joint and either replace or modify with new bushings.

Problem is, the joint won't come off the trans. I got it to move and it slid almost all the way off. In fact the roll pin holes in the joint are past the end of the trans. It's almost like there is a little lip or something holding it in place.

Plan B including getting the bolt holding the joint to the linkage arm undone but of course it is frozen in the joint. I got the nut off the top of it and soaked it in PB blaster last night just before I gave up.

I've read a lot about people having issues with the joint not moving, but mine moved pretty easy, just won't come all the way off.

Anyone else ever run into this? For the record I pryed it, hammered it, and everything else I had lying around and it's still on there.

Long story short: Shift linkage joint slid almost all the way off the trans but seems to be stuck on the end of the trans.

Archived