LegacyGT.com

Legacy overheating even after fix

bocard80o

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/12/ehuqanad.jpg

:(My 1995 Subaru legacy L recently overheated on me and wouldn't start up on the highway from Nj to NY I had to have it towed back to Nj. After closer inspection noticed the coolant was leaking from the radiator area a mechanic suggested using bars leak repair. After using the bars in still was leaking out big amounts. I got under the car to check and noticed it was pouring out of the lower radiator hose. I took it to the mechanic and had the hose replaced. On the drive back there is no leaking anymore but the gauge still rises above the middle area kind of close to the H and down sometimes back to normal. I don't understand why it is still getting hot. I am afraid to try to get it back to my house in NY I already played $255 for the tow and another $65 for the hose work. Any ideas guys?

Hello;

First thing is never use Bars stop leak! If I was in the same boat would have the cooling system flushed out and thermostat replaced with a stock unit. Be sure to tell the shop what has happened here. Steven.

I would recommend this also. It could be as simple an air pocket but having that stop leak in the system isnt good imo.

TStat is definitely here I'd start. If it was your water pump the temp would not fluctuate (correct me if I'm wrong) it would just overheat...

TStat could be sticking a little bit...or even gummed up by the additive repair. Replacing your TStat yourself is not difficult. If you feel up to the challenge there are a million tutorials online. GL!!

The thermostat is still the same one I have too see how or where Imma get it off not sure where its located..but I want to try a boil test on it....also I got the second fan working (blown fuse) but still overheating...I'm thinking t-stat, gaskets, or water pump what do you think?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

If you're looking at the bay it's fed by the bottom hose that comes off the radiator on the drivers side. That hose feeds into a housing held together by two bolts. If you remove those two bolts and drain the coolant it will be inside the housing. There may be a way to plug the hose to save some of the coolant but if you're doing a flush anyways this would be the time...the water pump is actually right behind the Tstat housing but there is far more to take off before it is accessible.

Did you "burp" the system properly. (use search)

Subarus are not a fill and forget type of system.

Would eliminate the possibilty of an air pocket before I went to other cures.

O.

UPDATE: so it seems the 2 bolts on thermostat are rusted and stripped like someone before me try to take them off any ideas on how I can get these two bolts off to check the thermostat...

Vise grips.

Get replacements so you'll not have the issue again.

O.

Irwin (also Sears) make a stripped bolt remover.

The smallest one will work. (have to buy the set tho).

You pound it over the stud and turn. It is reverse threaded and I've removed a head bolt with one, so it can do it.

Conversely you can flatten a side a side or two with a grinder and force a 9mm over it to remove.

O.

Archived