LegacyGT.com

Valve cover gaskets - how long to replace

I need to change the valve cover gaskets on my 96 L - 2.2 engine. I'm wondering how long it takes to replace them. The left side is leaking badly and of course it is hitting the exhaust. Cough cough!!

I know it won't be like the flat head 6 cyl that is my daily driver. On that car I can change the gasket in a white shirt and not get a drop of dirt on it. With the cover on the sides I'm guessing I will get a bit of dirt on my shirt.

I need to do the work while parked outside and length of time is important in planning and the weather.

Thanks.

For that amount if time I am guessing there are quite a few parts to remove to get to those gaskets.

The one big thing I like about my DD 90 Jaguar is how easy it is to do plugs, plug wires or the cam cover gasket. It is a flat head 6 cyl and you can do it all without getting dirty. The cam cover gasket takes me half an hour from start to the time all tools are cleaned and put back in the drawer.

Maybe I'll wait for warmer weather before doing the subbie gaskets.

I did mine on the 2.5 liter engine which took about 4-5 hours, I did take my time though because i'm an amateur with working on cars. I think the 2.2 liter might even be easier.

It's a quick job on a 2.2 since there is plenty of room to get at everything. It's still kind of a tight fit but not too bad. I've done a few sets so the last time I did some it took about 30 minutes. You can do it without removing anything. All you need is a 10 mm wrench. If you have a ratcheting wench it would be even easier.

If you need more room you can move the washer tank over to the side and remove the air intake. But not necessary.

Yes I do have the 2.2 engine.

Half hour sounds good to me and I have ratcheting wrenches.

It's a quick job on a 2.2 since there is plenty of room to get at everything. It's still kind of a tight fit but not too bad. I've done a few sets so the last time I did some it took about 30 minutes. You can do it without removing anything. All you need is a 10 mm wrench. If you have a ratcheting wench it would be even easier.

If you need more room you can move the washer tank over to the side and remove the air intake. But not necessary.

The drivers side valve cover can put up a fight because of the oil filler tube but you can just drop it down towards to ground.

Don't over torque the bolts when installing the valve covers. 5 ft lbs at the most. Iirc the fsm specs are 3.7 ft lbs or something. The bolts will bottom out rather quickly. As soon as they are snug stop!

Not sure how different yours is from a 98 but providing the engine bay was nice and cool it took me about an hour and a half to do mine. I have done it with a hot engine and it took about 4. One thing i will advise is DO NOT RUSH IT. I have had a bolt head snap (near the lower end of the cover which is blocked by the frame) and the rest of the bolt was stuck inside not tightened. Luckily i found some mechanics who managed to make a custom drill to get it out!

Archived