LegacyGT.com

'08 LGT 5EAT never hits rev limiter in manual mode - shifts up

I was just wondering why that is and couldnt find any info on it. I had an 05 outback and it would hit the limiter at a certain RPM when I was in manual mode and not Drive. The GT would simply shift up to the next gear and this is a little strange espcially when driving in snow. Do any of you know of a way to change this?

Thank you in advance for the replies.

07+ shifts up at limiter when in manual mode. that's how it is. just be aware of where you are in the rpms and either prepare for itself to shift or trigger the shift well before the rev limiter or else you'll end up 2 gears up.

07+ shifts up at limiter when in manual mode. that's how it is. just be aware of where you are in the rpms and either prepare for itself to shift or trigger the shift well before the rev limiter or else you'll end up 2 gears up.

Good to know. Avoid 07+ Legacy/outbacks.

Good to know. Avoid 07+ Legacy/outbacks.

I'm not sure why you would say that, on the sole basis that it'll shift for you. If you want a manual car, get a manual car. The 07+ Legacy/Outbacks bring a good number of features and refinements, my favorite of which are steering wheel controls, paddle shifters (I've had sellers tell me they first hit the steering wheel mounted shifters on older LGTs thinking it's volume adjustment, just to find the car downshifting), and AUX input.

I kind of agree with TooBig. I've accidentally hit the rev limit in the 05 OBXT being stupid and it doesn't really buy you any advantage. I guess it is nice to know that it will 100% hold the gear, but if it's bouncing on the limit you need to upshift anyway. What would bug me is if it upshifted say at 4500 rpm after a few seconds.

I kind of agree with TooBig. I've accidentally hit the rev limit in the 05 OBXT being stupid and it doesn't really buy you any advantage. I guess it is nice to know that it will 100% hold the gear, but if it's bouncing on the limit you need to upshift anyway. What would bug me is if it upshifted say at 4500 rpm after a few seconds.

It wont. Itll only shift at redline in manual mode, or unless triggered.

thank you for all the replies. at least now i know that its not just my gt that does it. do any of you know if there is a way to change this playing with the software or it is a different rev limiter that cannot be played with?

I'm not sure why you would say that, on the sole basis that it'll shift for you. If you want a manual car, get a manual car. The 07+ Legacy/Outbacks bring a good number of features and refinements, my favorite of which are steering wheel controls, paddle shifters (I've had sellers tell me they first hit the steering wheel mounted shifters on older LGTs thinking it's volume adjustment, just to find the car downshifting), and AUX input.

I would have loved to get a Manual Wagon. I found 2 and by the time I went to go look at them they were sold so I found an 05 auto and fell in love with it on the spot. Took it home that night. As for paddle shifters and SWC I have both of those. NO NOT BUTTON SHIFTERS, PADDLE SHIFTERS. I swapped out the entire Steering wheel contents from an 05 to an 08 and have never been happier. Best mod by far. Plus when in manual mode I can switch at whatever RPM I want without it shifting for me. One of a few things that made me settle on an Auto.

Archived