LegacyGT.com

Valve cover gaskets, exhaust manifold gasket, spark plugs

Hey guys, Im gonna be replacing the valve cover gaskets this weekend in my 05 LGT as they leak just a little bit, and will be going stage 2 as well. My question is, what brand(s) of valve cover gaskets should I get? Ive had really good luck with fel-pro gaskets on other cars, but I dont know if I should be worried about getting an OEM subaru gasket or not.

Also, from what I understand I will be pulling one of the exhaust manifolds when I replace my uppipe for stage 2. Again, any particular brand of gasket to get or aviod, and do i need to be worried about resurfacing the manifold before I re-install it? My prior experience with cars has been that often the manifold must be resurfaced. But I dont know if thats the case with these cars.

Finally, i will be replacing spark plugs as well, just cause Ill be down in that general area anyways. Is there any real benefit from going to a 1 step colder plug on a basic stage 2 setup (uppipe, full exhaust, AP). With the exception of an intake or open-panel air filter, I have zero intentions or plans to modify the engine otherwise for the forseeable future.

Im sure that this stuff may have been asked before, but I searched for a few days with no avail :) Any advice is appreciated!! Thanks!

Phil

I just went with whatever FBP sent me, probably OEM. And then I used RTV. the other gaskets, I don't remember...

The OEM gaskets seem pretty nice though.

Are you replacing your UP? I hope you are. Make sure you seat the UP really well, or get a super thick GS gasket. It leaks sometimes at the UP->Header connection, so GS has a 12X thick one.

• 1 month later...

In post #37 you can see what your going to find with the valve cover.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106p2.html

When I pulled my Invidia catless up pipe off the gasket looked great. The flanges are in nice shape.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived