LegacyGT.com

are the stock mufflers stainless

rexster

Oem's like to claim using SS as a marketing ploy, so they use the lowest grade they can getaway with, in this case it's likely 409. Most aftermarket SS exhausts use 304, and on some exhaust headers/manifolds, they'll use 321.

i think they are stainless because the piping is really rusted but the mufflers themselves are not. the magnet may or may not stick depending on the grade. apparently there's different equipment involved for welding stainless. i guess i'll bring one in and let the guy tell me if he can work with it.

if the hangers are not stainless, then there's no need to use stainless filler. just reverse the welding polarity and use flux core mild. it won't be pretty but it will hold, I've done a few this way. I'm not saying the weld will be the strongest, but we are not exactly talking about high loads here.

Oem's like to claim using SS as a marketing ploy, so they use the lowest grade they can getaway with, in this case it's likely 409. Most aftermarket SS exhausts use 304, and on some exhaust headers/manifolds, they'll use 321.

good point. I didn't think FHI would stoop so low. The price difference in raw materials (409 vs 304) isn't that much compared to the step up from mild.

as for the tubing, I think they are worried about manufacturing yield. every time I've tried to bend stainless it has either split or kinked on me....

Archived