LegacyGT.com

Do you really hate your 5EAT and why?

I was just reading the cracked windshield thread and a few esteemed members commented on how they would like to get rid of their 5EATs and into a MT...why?

I've spent 27 years driving MTs, and this Auto is smooth and shifts very nicely, especially with that awesome turbo engine. My left leg finally gets a break, and I can better secure myself in the car during spirited cornering. I have the Ltd, which means that I get the little button shifters, which just add to the pleasure.

With the fancy SMG systems that are available on the super-high-end cars that disfavour a clutch and are supposedly "manual", isn't a good Auto the way of the future?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't need to get an Ltd to get the button shifters.

There is a difference in driving the manual vs the auto. The auto is certainly not bad, it's quick, smooth and easy. I'm still getting the Legacy in Manual when it's delivered and we're ready to buy in late July. It'll be my first manual.

Those SMG systems have more in common with a manual than with an Auto though.

i drive an 5EAT and it's great. sure people say it would be faster and whatnot if it was the MT, but i'd rather just sit back, smoking people anyways, eating with one hand, and steering with the other. and the button shifters are definetly a plus to the beast. but i've driven a MT car before, and its all preference.

i drive an 5EAT and it's great. sure people say it would be faster and whatnot if it was the MT, but i'd rather just sit back, smoking people anyways, eating with one hand, and steering with the other. and the button shifters are definetly a plus to the beast. but i've driven a MT car before, and its all preference.

Don't forget talking on your cell phone. :lol:

I have a love/hate relationship with my 5EAT, actually more love than hate, much more. I mean how could I put 5000 miles on it and not love it.:) I drive at least 20 miles extra everyday just to enjoy the car.

The 5EAT is more of a sleeper than a 5MT, cause people automatically dismiss you till they can't read your license plate after you've smoked them.

Also, the 5EAT shifts fast and consistently, compared to a 5MT which can slip, bog, stall or plan ole blow up, hehe. :)

I keed I keeed

Living in Atlanta and having just come over to the AT from the manual WRX is like night and day. I was so tired of driving a stick - this is the first "performance" car that I have ever owned that had an automatic. I am extremely happy with the shift characteristics, it is smooth and the shifts are fairly quick and tight.

With the fancy SMG systems that are available on the super-high-end cars that disfavour a clutch and are supposedly "manual", isn't a good Auto the way of the future?
Yeah, well your 5EAT isn't an SMG. There's not something particular about rowing gears which I prefer.

a good manual driver will be better at shifting than the current 5eat can offer in the LGT. I don't like to pay extra for a slushy only to get more power sap from the torque converter. the 5eat in the LGT is ways away from the SMG in an ENZO or even an M3. I absolutely get disgusted at people who are lazy driving with one hand and does something else with the other hand. Automatic breeds laziness.

a good manual driver will be better at shifting than the current 5eat can offer in the LGT. I don't like to pay extra for a slushy only to get more power sap from the torque converter. the 5eat in the LGT is ways away from the SMG in an ENZO or even an M3. I absolutely get disgusted at people who are lazy driving with one hand and does something else with the other hand. Automatic breeds laziness.

Completely false.

With an automatic you can have both hands on the steering wheel all the time and therefore 5EAT owners who drive attentively will always have more control steering wise.

So it should be: Automatic breeds laziness or better steering control.

Mojo

I keed I keeed

I do not recall reading many complaints about the 5eat's, other than the bashing we receive from 5mt drivers! So many threads on this back & forth bashing of autos, next the 5mt crowd will be saying they are a full second to 60 quicker......right:) Oh I forgot, many 5MT drivers already believe that one:)....For those individuals I have some great investment property in south central florida;)
Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I do not recall reading many complaints about the 5eat's, other than the bashing we receive from 5mt drivers! So many threads on this back & forth bashing of autos, next the 5mt crowd will be saying they are a full second to 60 quicker......right:) Oh I forgot, many 5MT drivers already believe that one:)....For those individuals I have some great investment property in south central florida;)

5MT, 0-60 in 5.6-5.7 seconds*

*may include blow tranny, shot synchros, loss of 1,2 or reverse gear

[Roller coaster is hitting the apex and here we go]

I keed I keeed

IMHO this is an old skool rule of thumb - MTs are faster than ATs - as most have discussed the technology has advanced to the point where the launch time difference betw/ LGT MT & AT is negligible. However, I am old skool, I ALWAYS change my oil at 3000 miles no matter what the dealer or manufacturer says. So, I also still believe that Michael Schumacher behind the wheel of an MT beats Michael Schumacher behind the wheel of an AT.

Jeez, let's lay this one to rest - somebody take 'em to the track and find out if there is a difference or not.

- "I've worked with better, but not many."

And what exactly IS your 0-60 time?

Jeez, a tad judgmental aren't we? :rolleyes: And besides, you have that completely backwards. I have a 95 Camaro Z28 with an A4 and I can easily smoke similar Z28's with a 6 spd, why, because no matter how good you can shift, an automatic will always shift faster (especially from a dig) and more consistently. My A4 has never missed a shift at the track, unlike the M6's.

melayout,

comments like above are what breeds laziness with most AT drivers which is getting all too common. If you know that you have to shift constantly, you will not be tempted to use the other hand for something else other than to focus on driving.

I can understand the comments for and against the 5EAT, but I guess it comes down to what your plans are for this car. From the onset, one must understand, that MT or 5EAT -- this car will never be the terror of your local drag strip. (It could be , but would require more work than 90% people want to put in) . Also, when it comes to speed, at a certain point daily drivability becomes an issue.

I agree with wunderkid, an automatic can breed laziness...esp. if its all one has driven. I learned to drive on a 1979 Fiat 2000 Spyder, with a clutch from hell, so while I havent been back in that car for years, it was a valuble learning experience that many drivers do need.

But we have to go down to the machine here, regardless of transmission choice, we have a very capable sedan and wagon here with lots of aftermarket support (not to mention a REAL AWD system, unlike a lot of these part time toys)....and while some will debate the definition of "lots" , I came to my LGT from a Volvo 850 Turbo, and that has a teeeny weeny aftermarket.

It seems this debate over transmission choice is getting kinda stale. Everyone has their reasons for deciding on a transmission....and those who feel the 5EAT didnt live up to their expectations and are moving along, well...they've made a choice about what matters to them.

Personally, once I get my 5EAT LGT to a 13.7...Ill stop breaking my warranty, focus on some slight cosmetics, maybe go back to auto-x, and drive her for about 3 years, and then move on.

As kind of side note though, of all of the car forums I have been a part of, this is a pretty good one....

There are some times where I miss driving a stick...but when I had a stick, there were some times I missed driving an auto.

At least now, I can put it on "manual" mode and be halfway to driving a manual transmission.

IMHO this is an old skool rule of thumb - MTs are faster than ATs - as most have discussed the technology has advanced to the point where the launch time difference betw/ LGT MT & AT is negligible. However, I am old skool, I ALWAYS change my oil at 3000 miles no matter what the dealer or manufacturer says. So, I also still believe that Michael Schumacher behind the wheel of an MT beats Michael Schumacher behind the wheel of an AT.

Jeez, let's lay this one to rest - somebody take 'em to the track and find out if there is a difference or not.

Except that formula one cars have an automatic transmission (well semi-automatic) ;). Granted the technology far exceeds our lowly automatics, but still no human operated clutch (except from a standstill). So I wonder how Mr. Schumacher would do with a MT :).

And besides, you have that completely backwards. I have a 95 Camaro Z28 with an A4 and I can easily smoke similar Z28's with a 6 spd, why, because no matter how good you can shift, an automatic will always shift faster (especially from a dig) and more consistently. My A4 has never missed a shift at the track, unlike the M6's.

Respectfully, I couldn't disagree with you more. I have owned 3 4th gen Z28s, I gotta tell you, the 700R4 is exactly the dinosaur I was referring to in my earlier post. GM's product development is a joke. GM's 1970's transmission technology is what gets smacked at the strip by a proficient rower in the other lane. MODERN transmission technology found in German (VW/Audi DSG, Porsche Tiptronic, etc.) and Japanese cars (maybe in some of the new Cadillacs, maybe) is what is comparable to an MT.

Except that formula one cars have an automatic transmission (well semi-automatic) . Granted the technology far exceeds our lowly automatics' date=' but still no human operated clutch (except from a standstill). So I wonder how Mr. Schumacher would do with a MT .[/quote']

Fine, fine, I was just trying to pick a fantastic driver to use as a control in the hypothetical - pick your favorite NASCAR driver.;)

My car has a Porsche tiptronic system, it is pretty fast and responsive. It can be launched all day long with high consistency and reliability. I think everyone can agree AWD autos are the easiest to launch and AWD MTs are the hardest to launch correctly.

When it comes to flat-out racing, I agree with the others who say AT's are superior, a proper AT shifter like paddles or some other form of SMG will ALWAYS be faster than a stick. A computer can shift in what, 0.01 seconds? There's no way any human being can shift that fast with the same precision and consistency everytime.

Forget F1, has anyone seen the finger paddle shifter in action in the subaru rally car? Omg sick. I want one.

hmm..the merc SLK McClaren that was test driven on top gear not too long ago, hauled some serious ass.....and it was an auto with button shifting behind the steering wheel, so the age old argument that manuals are faster than autos is flawed.

but then again, the whole argument is subjective, and in the end is usually a pointless argument. :D

I'm beginning to wonder how many people here actually understand the difference between your traditional "auto" and what the SLR has in it, which has pretty little to do with a normal old fashioned auto (a la the LGT).

I've own the 5MT in my OBXT. In addition I've put about 500 total miles on three separate LGT 5EAT loaners from my dealer.

I am only an average manual driver. I can also be called Sir putz-a-shift.

THERE IS NO WAY THE 5EAT CAN SHIFT FASTER THAN ME. In fake manual mode you shift....and then...a little later...not yet...ok, now, the car shifts.

Archived