LegacyGT.com

Plug n Play Aux-in mod for 2005 6cd radios

jazzymt

Hi everyone,

I'm a new convert to the Subaru family. I recently purchased an 06 Outback 2.5i Ltd. I absoluetly love the car, well besides the whole stereo thing.

I'm not one to sit on a problem long, so after 2 weeks of owning the car I went ahead and ordered and installed the Pro Aux-in mod. The installaton went very smooth, the instructions were great. I only got hung up with the GLI, I couldn't figure out what to do with those extra wires. Luckily I found the answer on this forum.

Everything worked great from the start, the sound was very good. However, after about a week of use, things started to act funny.

Basically, I don't get any sound from any of the left speakers anymore. The weird thing is that happened once, then it started working fine again, and now it is doing it again. I went back and checked all the connections but everything is snug as a bug.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the Radio and CD player still work fine. It only happens when using the iPod.

FYI, my set up goes like this: HU > Y-Audio Cable > GLI > Mini-Stereo Plug to RCA Jack Splitter > Mini-Stereo Extension Cable > Belkin Auto Kit > iPod

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First time poster, long time lurker :lol: Anyhow, I added that aux board today and so far so good. This is a must have for anyone with an mp3 player. No real problems with the installation except for removing the small screws on the heatsink. Those screws were in tight and it took me a while to look through my toolbox to find suitable screwdrivers. Overall, easy install and works beautifully. I ordered a GLI too but I didn't install it. Didn't notice any odd noises while the car was running so decided to hold off on installing it for now. Great product and great instructions.

I installed mine today. I have to say I was sweating hard. My 'ru has less than 400 miles on it and I'm tearing it apart. But I can't stand being without my iPod and XM so it had to be done.

I have a 2006 Outback 2.5 XT

It was a 3 hr install. I took my time and also ran into a bit of problem. On the first run through it didn't work. The CD loaded but wouldn't read. It would try a few times and switch back to FM. Not sure what the problem was but in the dark I took the radio back out, took it back apart, rechecked everything and reinstalled. Not sure what the problem was exactly but I think the ribbon cables didn't seat right. So far, so good now.

My tips:

1. Do it parked on a level surface: you need to take the auto trans in and out of gear a few times to get the radio in and out. Its less stressful if you aren't worried about your car rolling away

2. Leave yourself plenty of daylight or work in a well lit garage. I heard of people doing it in an hr but leave yourself more time. This is hard enough without having to work by braille.

3. Craftsman #1 and #2 phillips or BETTER QUALITY. The right screwdriver makes SO MUCH of a difference. Buy good tools and they last forever.

4. Keep good track of which screws came out of where. It seems obvious when you are taking them out but so much less when putting them in. Either baggie the screws or take a piece of paper, put the hardware in circles on the paper and write what they are for.

Props to Jazzy and all the cool, helpful and patient people here!

Another successful install!!! Took me about 2 hours going slowly, testing each connection. I had one problem but it was my stupidity (worong connection). Directions are perfect and SQ is incredible. I would highly recommend this mod to anyone. This was my first audio install and I was surprised how easy it was. I installed both Sirius and Ipod using coupler and GLI.

It is a great product and $40 is a bargain. I will post some pictures later.

Thanks Jazzy!!

Congrats on more good installs everyone.

I have a small request though - could someone tell me the part number listed on the front of the 1CD radio? For example, 6CD is P-201UH and the 6CD MP3 is P-201UE. Anyone?

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

I think my problem may have gotten lost in my rambling post so I'll post it again.

Basically, I don't get any sound out of left speakers when I use my iPod. I went back and checked all the connections but everything is snug as a bug. The radio and CD changer still work fine. It only happens when I try to use the iPod.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

FYI, my set up goes like this: HU > Y-Audio Cable > GLI > Mini-Stereo Plug to RCA Jack Splitter > Mini-Stereo Extension Cable > Belkin Auto Kit > iPod

I had the same problem but reversed. I found that I had a loose cable connected to the GLI. I reconnected it and secured it better and no everything is flawless.

I think my problem may have gotten lost in my rambling post so I'll post it again.

Basically, I don't get any sound out of left speakers when I use my iPod. I went back and checked all the connections but everything is snug as a bug. The radio and CD changer still work fine. It only happens when I try to use the iPod.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Sounds like one of the mini-stereo jacks is not completely plugged in, which could leave you w/ only one channel.

I had a case on my iPod that partially blocked a mini-stereo plug from being fully inserted.

ProTUNED by RaminiSports :icon_mrgr

Yea, I'd say probably one of the mini-jacks isn't completely seated. Often, the cable looks OK, but isn't totally seated in the jack on the board itself - the plug should insert so it's completely flush.

Or, perhaps the RCA splitter isn't snuggly connected. I've had a couple that didn't fit well...if that's the case I'd be happy to send a replacement. If it feels snug, then that's probably not the problem though.

If you try all of those things, and you're still certain the cords are ok, then I can send you a replacement board. I have had one (out of 500 so far) that the left channel slowly died on - I'm guessing something inside the jack broke. It's unlikely, but a possible last resort.

Keep us updated. I'd be happy to help however I can.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

...this topic is HUGE!!!

SOmeone have probably asked this question, but I am going to ask it anyway 'cause I don't have time to read 60~some odd pages of replies.

If I were to install this product...does it mean that everything I plug into the Mini Plug AUX IN...i.e. Laptop, XM, Navi... (including my OEM in-dash CD Changer) will be automatically EQ adjusted through my Clean Sweep and out to my amps-speakers-subs???

The reason why I am asking is...Clean Sweep does have an AUX IN, but it bypasses through the EQ...so it would sound stockish!!!

Thanks,

CRAZY KEN

Uh...yea. Whatever you plug in would go through all the same processing as your in-dash CD changer.

...this topic is HUGE!!!

SOmeone have probably asked this question, but I am going to ask it anyway 'cause I don't have time to read 60~some odd pages of replies.

If I were to install this product...does it mean that everything I plug into the Mini Plug AUX IN...i.e. Laptop, XM, Navi... (including my OEM in-dash CD Changer) will be automatically EQ adjusted through my Clean Sweep and out to my amps-speakers-subs???

The reason why I am asking is...Clean Sweep does have an AUX IN, but it bypasses through the EQ...so it would sound stockish!!!

Thanks,

CRAZY KEN

Sure crazy,

you can plug in anything you want and if you split it correctly you could have them all play at the same time. For example you could listen to the radio or a CD while your Nav is giving you directions.

Yea, I'd say probably one of the mini-jacks isn't completely seated. Often, the cable looks OK, but isn't totally seated in the jack on the board itself - the plug should insert so it's completely flush.

Or, perhaps the RCA splitter isn't snuggly connected. I've had a couple that didn't fit well...if that's the case I'd be happy to send a replacement. If it feels snug, then that's probably not the problem though.

If you try all of those things, and you're still certain the cords are ok, then I can send you a replacement board. I have had one (out of 500 so far) that the left channel slowly died on - I'm guessing something inside the jack broke. It's unlikely, but a possible last resort.

Thanks Jazzy, I'll recheck all the plugs this weekend. The fact that it did work for a week and that the left side came back on 2 times since I noticed the problem, makes me think that your comment about the left channel dying might be the answer. I'll let you know what I find out.

...this topic is HUGE!!!

Thanks,

CRAZY KEN

I think you'd get higher quality from the clean sweep in since the jazzy-in will be "de-tuned" by the clean sweep "re-tuning". (E.g. I think that the signal processing is applied to the signal prior to the jazzy-in.)

Thanks Jazzy' date=' I'll recheck all the plugs this weekend. [b']The fact that it did work for a week and that the left side came back on 2 times since I noticed the problem[/b], makes me think that your comment about the left channel dying might be the answer. I'll let you know what I find out.
Uh...yea, you failed to mention that part. That sounds exactly like the problem the other guy had. If it's not just a cable jostling loose (still entirely possible), I'll definitely replace the board for you. Just let me know.

Jazzy,

I noticed that my plug wasn't "completely flush" against the port on the board. I thought it was normal and used some heat glue to keep it in place, because it had an usual amount of play. Could this cause a short of some sort?

Jazzy,

I noticed that my plug wasn't "completely flush" against the port on the board. I thought it was normal and used some heat glue to keep it in place, because it had an usual amount of play. Could this cause a short of some sort?

No it won't hurt anything, but you shouldn't need the glue. It's very snug when you plug it in completely.

Uh...yea, you failed to mention that part. That sounds exactly like the problem the other guy had. If it's not just a cable jostling loose (still entirely possible), I'll definitely replace the board for you. Just let me know.

Yeah, sorry about that, I mentioned it in my original post but I forgot to include it in the second one. I'l let you know how it goes, thanks for the help. And thanks for coming up with this mod. Even though mine doesn't work right I still think it's awesome.

First off Jazzy. you da MAN!

I ordered one of Jazzys miracle inline aux input devices, and it arrived a mere 2 days later. Big ups to that. well last night a friend and I decided to put this sucker in. Before I even started i went down to the shack, grabbed a 6' cable, 6" cable and a flush mount 1/8" connector because I wanted to do a little custom install. Well I didnt do as I was suppose to do and actually read all the instructions before starting (egotistical bastard). We started on it around 9:30 in the evening. I also decided since i was going to have the dash apart I would install my turbo timer. Ive had the dash apart before installing gauges in my cubby, so i just figured it would be a piece of cake, plug this thing into the back of the radio and go at it.. well 1/2 way through the install I then realized how stupid I was. I didnt realize you had to take the whole CD changer and a/c control unit apart to do all this =P.. but 4 hours later I finally had a few beers down and a big smile on my face when my Ipod was pumping Disturbed through my CD player ;) . It's really not a difficult install, it was just alot more taking crap apart than I anticipated. finally I got it exactly how I wanted it. I wanted a little port jack, so i could hook my portable DVD player up to it for trips.. etc. so we all voted and the port ended up right behind the e-brake. its a nice clean install, and unless you know its been done, it just looks like its suppose to be there. My only advice if you go with a port setup, remember red wire=tip=left and black=ring=right. so you get your channels soldered to the cable right.

Here's a couple of crappy pics.. yeah i know i need to vacuum ;)

http://angevine.org/temp/ipod1.jpg

http://angevine.org/temp/ipod2.jpg

another sweet feature is that I can plug my phone into it.. and when i'm listening to CD's My phone will ring over the stereo. kind of a ghetto phone interrupt until I can set up a real one. ;) but it works.

-Tronix(rock on, and thanks jazzy)GT

for more pics and info... http://angevine.org/legacy/legacy.html