LegacyGT.com

Waxing after repaint...

So I am about to get my baby back from the body shop, the whole front end of the car is brand new, which means the paint is brand new.

I know I shouldn't wax it until the paint cures, so how long do I need to wait? I just want to get it protected as soon as I should. Thanks!

You should ask the body shop if they baked the car after shooting it. If so, i'd wait a few weeks even though the paint should be good to go. If they did not bake the finish, then the clear will still be soft and needs a few good months in the sun.... it really depends on the shop, technique, materials etc. They would be the best to ask.

Shaun

^^^ That. You need to ask the body shop. Some will say 30 days and others will say 90. You need to wait as long as they tell you or else you will void any kind of warranty they provide on the paintjob. Realistically you could probably wax it within a couple weeks, but if they say to wait then you need to wait. If the paint fails because of their shoddy workmanship then you don't want them blaming it on you waxing it too soon, which is usually the reason for the wait period. The paint will survive a few weeks without wax on it, so no worries.

Oh, what you really want to avoid in the meantime are bird bombs, tree sap, and water spots. On new paint you can etch it ridiculously fast with those three things. Don't park under any trees or near any sprinklers for the next few months. There is no faster way to ruin a new paint job than to get etching from those three things. Cured paint and protected paint is a little more resilient when it comes to that, but bodyshop fresh paint is pretty vulnerable.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

The repair from when I got rearended was back in December 2012 and most of the back of the car was repainted. My shop told me 30 days, but that it was somewhat weather dependant. I still haven't waxed it. Now that we have finally had a week or two above 80 with hot sun that the car has had a chance to sit in, I will probably wax it the next time I wash it in the next week or two.

Archived