LegacyGT.com

EJ25D swap to EJ251?

I have a 97 LGT with the EJ25D that just experienced head gasket failure. I intend to just replace the engine. I know I should just do head gaskets but I work for a salvage yard and can get a deal on a "new" engine. Plus I can swap engines in about 4 hrs and it would take at least that long to just break down my engine. I want to swap in an EJ251 from a 01 OB. What needs to be modified to make this engine work? Exhaust manifold? ECM? Anything transmission related?

You can do a head gasket job for around $300 with all new engine gaskets and materials. You never know what you're going to get with another motor. Sticking with the one you got is your best bet. Unless you've overheated it too much, too many times.

If you want to swap in the 251, you might as well only buy the block. You HAVE to use the top end and all sensors from a 25D.

Now, even better than sticking with your motor entirely, do a block swap. Not only will the reliability increase, but power too. A 251 block has a MUCH better bottom end than the 25D. It does not have the bearing issues. Compression will increase to about 11:1 - 11.5:1 and you will find that you have much more power and low end torque.

Either way, the engine has to come apart.

Thank you for all the info. I decided to just do head gaskets on my EJ25D. After much research and the info I got here, swapping would be far too time consuming and costly.

But has it overheated many times during the head gasket failure?

Suppose you replace the head gaskets & they never fail again.

The real issue would be how long were the internals (bearings) attacked w/overheating & the oil/coolant mix, which is extremely detrimental to the engine's internals, as opposed to the 251 block, which leaks externally with it's head gasket issues, not internally, so it wouldn't have any bearing issues & would still remain very reliable...

Archived