LegacyGT.com

really bad seats

fazzster

I have read a bunch of threads about how bad the seats are. I just got an 05 2.5i wagon and the seats are killing me. I cannot find a comfortable position no matter what I do. I do not want to sell a car because of the seat especially when I just spent over $1300 in mods in the first week of ownership. I looked at a Corbeau seat but I am concerned about the airbag sensors associated with the stock seat if removed. Also, none of the aftermarket seats (Sparco, Momo, Corbeau) make a custom bracket for the Legacy. Has anyone installed an aftermarket seat?....or installed and Sti or a WRX seat? Thanks! any info will be appreciated by myself, my lower back and my be-hind.....

:confused:

ive heard an aftermarket seat cannot be installed becuase of the Active head restraint, side impact airbags, and the front impact weight sensors... I have a 2.5i sedan and if you find out a solution for new seats.. let me know, im in the same boat as you. What mods have you already bought?

Sorry to hear bout that dudes, I just have to agree with the stock 2.5i seats being ehh bad.. I took my first test drive in a non limited model and I was like great car but this seat sucks.. then my salesman took me inside and let me sit in a limited and I was like.. oooh much better..

If the seats in the non limited model were the only ones offered I would have bought a different car.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

When I fikrst got mine the seats were a bit too stiff, but after driving in them for a while you get used to them or they soften up I'm not sure which one. A little advice, dont drive with a wallet in your back pocket, it has a tendancy make your butt cheak fall asleep and that is so anoying. :lol:

I guess it comes down to body types...I think the seats are awesome, most comfortable I have had in a car. They fit me perfectly...and provide plenty of support for spirited driving and super long road trips.

Sorry you are not having my luck, that stinks. I know you can put aftermarket seats and there is a way to bypass the airbag sensor, with a resistor. They do that in the MINI Coopers, and don't have issues. All you need to do is find a seat that fits, and a mounting bracket that works with the car, then figure out which resistor to plug into the air bag connector so you don't get a MIL on the dash...then you should be fine.

I guess it comes down to body types...I think the seats are awesome, most comfortable I have had in a car. They fit me perfectly...and provide plenty of support for spirited driving and super long road trips.

Sorry you are not having my luck, that stinks. I know you can put aftermarket seats and there is a way to bypass the airbag sensor, with a resistor. They do that in the MINI Coopers, and don't have issues. All you need to do is find a seat that fits, and a mounting bracket that works with the car, then figure out which resistor to plug into the air bag connector so you don't get a MIL on the dash...then you should be fine.

They are but they did require some getting used to if you came from a more cushy seat, but after that they are great. I don't dso many shoort drives in my LGT, usualy 1.5 hrs+ and no complaints as long as I remove my wallet from my back pocket :lol:

maybe go to a professional upholster. maybe they can shave some foam away in the butt area and shave some of the lower and/or upper back area so that you sit more into the seat.

or maybe there's someone crazy enough here to swap leather seats with you.

there's a link i posted somewhere around here that had picture instructions of a japanese guy that swapped out his cloth driver seat with a Recaro racing seat. like everyone else has mentioned, he had to fab up his own mounting hardware.

I think the seats on the 2.5i are superb. Sure, they are not as cushy as those on an Accord, but still very comfortable. Instead of going aftermarket, you can always purchase and install OEM Legacy GT seats, although for the money, aftermarket is probably the way to go. But going with OEM allows you to avoid the mess with the seat tracks and keeps the air bag sensors.

is it ok to adjust the slider on the seats while driving (I do this sometimes cuz that's when I can find the best position, take it easy you pervs! :D)....I mean...will it throw off the xx generation airbags that are suppose to deploy at the right time?
In Taiwan now...:spin:

I just caught the end of MotorWeek on TV this weekend. They did an update to their 2005 Outback test car and the only complaint they had were the seats. They said the seats weren't very comfortable for long drives.

My problem with the seat is that there is no tilt-back option (2.5i). My right leg has no support and I have to hold it in awkward position in order to keep my foot comfortably on the gas.It appears it may be easily modded to tilt with 2 stud extenders and/or washers placed on the 2 front seat mount bolts. I will try this and post my results.

What I hate about the seats is the seam in the middle of my back that digs into me when I try to add any lumbar support. I have a bad back and could benefit from some extra lumbar support. Even my wife complains about the seats. I do however like the look of them. It's also tough to find a comfortable driving position for me and I always find myself readjusting the controls (even when my back isn't bothering me).

Thanks all for the feedback.....my temporary solution has been taking a z-rest camping bed pad and cutting it to fit the seat. This has provided not only more cushion for my rear but because it folds into sections, I double up'd on the front part for more thigh support. It works well and does not slide. I am only 125 lbs and 5'4"....maybe this seat is a problem for us lighter people? Too bad because the car is very impressive.

Talk to your dealer. Most of them have an aftermarket company that does seat work. See if you can get them to add padding where it would make the seat more comfortable. that shouldn't mess with the seat.

Here was my "low budget" solution for adding extra padding while trying to maintain reasonably good appearance for the seat:

Seat Gloves seat covers for a '04 WRX (no model available yet for Legacy):

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=3027&addcar=1

The seatback cover doesn't fit but the seat cover fits really well for a semi-custom cover, and leaves enough room to place additional foam underneath.

Under the cover I placed a memory foam pad that was custom cut to the size of inside portion of the seat. The foam I got from the following internet company:

http://www.foamorder.com/custom_cuts.php?product=memory&shape=5

They will custom mold and cut to your measurements. I think I went with 3/4" thickness. You can also add a dacron layer to the foam that helps keep it from sliding around.

This made a huge improvement in the seating comfort. I'll try to post some pictures of the seats tomorrow.

I can't recall the exact padding measurements, but I can check and post later tonight. For the LGT the passenger seat is slightly more narrow, so I remember deciding to take an average of the two measurements. I took measurements of the inside portion of the seat at both the front and back. I think the company that molded the foam could only guarantee to within a 1/4 inch anyhow. Since I could only buy the seat covers as a set I decided to install them on both seats.

• 5 months later...
I recently raised the front of the seat about one inch and this helps thigh support immensely. Unfortunately you can't just add washers between the seat mounting bracket and the floor because the area where the seat mounts to the floor is on a 45 degree angle. When you tilt the front of the seat up the mounting holes nolonger line up. I bent a piece of metal, about 2" x 5", into the shape of a Z and drilled holes in both ends. Bolted one end to the floor and the other end to the seat bracket. Vince

Archived