LegacyGT.com

How to replace an injector?

dextr214

I did a search and found this:

"...They are very easy to install. Pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine to get the fuel out of the lines. In the engine bay, remove the safety clip (1 screw) and the injector can be popped out. Plug your new one back in and screw the safety clip back on top." gianspi

Is this the typical process for replacing an injector? I have my replacement but am wondering the best way to replace it. Oh, and its an '05 LGT.

1. Relieve fuel pressure by pulling the fuel pump fuse while the engine is running (fuse is in the engine fuse box). It will stall.

2. Remove the holder - it's torx T-20 I think.

3. Pull the injector out. You will need something to pry it. Use a wide flat screwdriver VERY gently to not damage the injector housing. Even beter hose grabber pliers could also be used to grab it by the side holes (never tried that, don't have such pliers).

4. Put some motor oil on new injector o-rings.

5. Push new injector in. Apply gentle gradual pressure, don't hammer it in (I use a wooden hammer handle to seat it in).

6. Bolt the holder.

7. Done.

For #3 injector you need to unbolt the coolant tank. Don't drain the coolant or disconnect hoses, just unbolt the support and swing it out of the way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Is there a trick or special tool I need to replace an injector? The o-ring is so tight I cannot get the injector seated. I had to pry the old one out with a flat head screwdriver and a little twisting. It's plastic and delicate so I cannot pound on it, but I'll break my fingers before this thing seats. They just simply don't pop off and on. I even tried screwing the torx screw bracket on hoping that would press the injector in, but I can still see a bit of the o-ring sticking out. Thanks for the help!

I did oil it up. Apparently the torx screw bracket is what presses in the injector. Ha! I thought for sure I had to press it in and the bracket was just some retainer. But the bracket hugs the injector just like a press tool would. No leaks after test drive, cool... Now my fingers are crossed it fixes my rough idle

• 1 month later...
6. Bolt the holder.
Quick note to the above, the tab on the bracket goes under/thru the injector platform mount opening!

I have had occasional random misfires on #3, decided to swap the injectors today to troubleshoot. Found the bracket not seated properly which prevented the injector clip from "clicking" in place plus had pushed one wire out of the socket. Basically I had an intermittent connection causing the random-random misfires.

Note, the PO had the injectors cleaned and flowed before I bought it. The bracket misalignment very likely happened during re-assembly.

Also like mentioned it took all of 10 minutes to R&R everything. I had more problems keeping the coolant tank outta the way!

Archived