LegacyGT.com

Sedan or Outback?

Bkord123

Hi folks! My first post here and I might be in the market for my first Subaru. It'll definitely be the 3.6R spec, but I'm more and more torn between the sedan and the Outback. Easy choice, right? What kind of lifestyle do I have? Well it ain't an active one that'll need a roof rack, bicycle, kayak storage, etc!

However, I love the look of it. I was hoping this forum could help me think of any key differences that might push me in one direction or the other. I believe the Outback's higher height diminishes its handling a bit compared to the Sedan, but do we lose anything in ride quality or acceleration? Consumer Reports touted the Sedan's ability to soak up bumps. Does the Outback do that as well? I live in the NE so I hit a ton of potholes and steep driveway entrances where I scrape the front of my car (anyone else hate that?) and when I saw the Outback today in person I thought of those things.

Any opinions are appreciated. I'm still going through these forums myself to learn more about these cars.

Well it definitely seems like you've narrowed it down to the outback. I'm assuming you're looking at a new car..? In that case the 2015's have the CVT which takes away from the initial acceleration punch and connection with the road more so then the previous years 5EAT auto. The outback definitely has a spungier suspension which of course is better for the off-road. Unless you're going to be whipping it around bends and turns, the outback will handle just fine in the city. X-mode is available on the outback which helps lock the diffs faster and helps in descends. Other than that, you seem like you'll be happier with an outback as you won't have to worry about steep roads and potholes as much. Only reason to go with the sedan is you like the cornering ability, you like the look, 200lb less weight down from 4800lbs of the outback, and don't need the "enhanced" off road features and height of the outback.

The 3.6 has the High Torque CVT for what thats worth. The good thing about either model is with the help of this forum you can have it handling corners like a big wrx or climbing rocks like well like an offroad outback lol lets not get crazy it isn't a Landrover. Point is figure out which car suits you best and deal with the handling issues accordingly for not much money.

The 3.6 has the High Torque CVT for what thats worth. The good thing about either model is with the help of this forum you can have it handling corners like a big wrx or climbing rocks like well like an offroad outback lol lets not get crazy it isn't a Landrover. Point is figure out which car suits you best and deal with the handling issues accordingly for not much money.

Thank you! I have to simply get out and test drive them. Unfortunately, I've decided to wait until the 16s come out because it sounds like StarLink is getting a big upgrade.

Well it definitely seems like you've narrowed it down to the outback. I'm assuming you're looking at a new car..? In that case the 2015's have the CVT which takes away from the initial acceleration punch and connection with the road more so then the previous years 5EAT auto. The outback definitely has a spungier suspension which of course is better for the off-road. Unless you're going to be whipping it around bends and turns, the outback will handle just fine in the city. X-mode is available on the outback which helps lock the diffs faster and helps in descends. Other than that, you seem like you'll be happier with an outback as you won't have to worry about steep roads and potholes as much. Only reason to go with the sedan is you like the cornering ability, you like the look, 200lb less weight down from 4800lbs of the outback, and don't need the "enhanced" off road features and height of the outback.

Where do you get the weight of the outback being 4800lbs from? 3800 is more like it well equipped.

Archived