LegacyGT.com

Question about changing all 4 tires

Diggerdan11

So i just bought a Legacy GT and the tires have at least 90-95% tread life left. But one of the tires has a small gash on the side wall and the cords are showing, it looks liks someone hit a curb. I dont want to risk something happening to the tire so I need to replace it.

So I was pricing out tires and it will cost $500-700 for new all season tires for the car.

I know you are supose to replace all 4 tires on an AWD car But if the other tires are 90-95% do you guys think I can replace just one tire without having any issues or should I not risk it and pay for 4 new ones?

Can you find a tire shop that shaves tires?
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Never heard of that before. Sound like something the tire shop I always go to would try to avoid.

Actually, shaving tires is an indication of a PROFESSIONALLY inclined shop, NOT the other way around. Racers often shave tread off of new tires so they handle better on the track.

You can read about tire shaving on TireRack.com.

And to answer your question, all 4 tires need to be the same tread depth. You can do what you like with that information, but that's Subaru's new rule (as opposed to the within 1/4in circumfrence rule, which comes out to about a 1/32" difference in tread depth anyway, which is very, very small).

Actually, shaving tires is an indication of a PROFESSIONALLY inclined shop, NOT the other way around. Racers often shave tread off of new tires so they handle better on the track.

You can read about tire shaving on TireRack.com.

And to answer your question, all 4 tires need to be the same tread depth. You can do what you like with that information, but that's Subaru's new rule (as opposed to the within 1/4in circumfrence rule, which comes out to about a 1/32" difference in tread depth anyway, which is very, very small).

Ok Good to know. I just have never heard of shaving tires and originally it sounded shady, but I guess its not.

I wnet ahead and decided to put 4 new tires on, the LGT is at the shop right now. The tires on there were pretty mediocre and not the best in snow and Ice. Plus its better to spend a couple hundred bucks on new tires than risk thousands of dollars in damage if the tires were not the exact same size.

But its good to know in the future that I can have tires shaved if I am in a pinch.

Archived