LegacyGT.com

GT Carbon Fiber hood

How many people would be interested in a VIS carbon fiber hood? VIS makes the best quality hoods. They use more layers of carbon than Fiber Images, so it's thicker and stronger, and also have rolled edges so it's smoother and fits better. Another advantage is the built in metal mounting bracket. This will prevent your hood from coming off at high speeds. I'll be dropping off a GT hood for them on Monday. The price is about $400 + s/h or you can pick it up locally. It would probably take 6-8 weeks to produce. If 10 people can put down a $100 deposit, it would be $375. [img]http://www.trixracing.com/Images/Products/350zcfh.jpg[/img]

It'll be the same design, except it'll be carbon fiber. You will want to keep the same design due to the TMIC. I believe Subaru has engineered a hood to maximize airflow and cooling better than an aftermarket company can, as a wild looking hood scoop may not function all that well. As for the color, they come in black, red, and blue. It would cost about $200 to get it painted by a body shop.

If CF is for looks mostly and not for race or some really industrial purpose (yes, we have machinery parts at work that are carbon fiber), then it's rice to me. Make it all or none of CF.

CF is not worth it. The stock aluminum is just fine. Also, just a nugget of info, I watched May's episode of best motoring, wich had the STI VS the EVO MR. The EVO MR lost 4 kilos from the roof, but they put back the lost 4 kilos to the roof by useing the rubber inserts..and it got better slolom times then the MR with the lighter roof. Hmmmm...makes you think.. Where is it best to loose the weight..

i always thought that carbon fiber looked like shit on teh exterior of cars. even in the interior, i got into a forrester xt with carbon fiber trimming, its not that it looked bad it was just weird. i think the GT hoods with the scoop make the car lok sporty enough. i plan on getting a GT scoop on my 2.5i sedan, just for looks

[quote name='Th3Franz']Considering the general theme the Legacy involves, I think a carbon fiber hood would not fit in very well.. Maybe some people disagree, but that's my opinion.[/quote] I'm with Th3 on this one. I just don't think that the Legacy is that kind of car. Obviously, ANY car is that kind of car if people do it, but it just strikes as a little...well...adolescent in a MaD PowEr sort of way. Why not pre-wire it for lighted washer nozzles while you're at it, and some of those racer boy pins? CF hoods are useless bling, and if you have an accident, you have just significantly altered a portion of the car's crash structure which means that suddenly, you don't know how a very safe vehicle is going to survive an accident. CF splinters instead of crumples. Might the engine wind up farther back in the car than it would have been with the proper crumple zone, that the aluminum hood is part of? And, I don't think I want to hear "this will prevent your hood from coming off at high speeds" about an aftermarket hood. The Legacy GT's hood is lightweight aluminum, that will not splinter in an accident. Unless I am missing something, I just don't see the practical value in a carbon fiber hood. I do know that from an aesthetic standpoint, IMHO, carbon fiber hoods look atrocious, like one of those cars that had an accident, and the owner couldn't afford to get matching body parts for it. Does this confirm my old man status? Kevin

That's why I'd only want it if it'll look exactly like the stock including the color but significantly lighter. But I think they'll have a hard time making it that much lighter than the stock while keeping structural rigidity.

[quote name='CombatCQB']That's why I'd only want it if it'll look exactly like the stock including the color but significantly lighter. But I think they'll have a hard time making it that much lighter than the stock while keeping structural rigidity.[/quote] Stock aluminum hood = not heavy

I think a carbon lid would rip, yes it might be a step towards rice but it certainly would make the car stand out. The weight would be reduced and as pointed out earlier, u could always have it painted. There are not many GT's on the road here in Oz yet so not sure if anyone is currently or going to make Carbon lids. This would mean importing one from either the land of the rising sun or the land of the free.

Sorry, but I was really hoping that this car wouldn't even be considered for a carbon fiber hood. ...nothing screams boy racer or boy rycer like exterior carbon fiber body pieces. Epecially when the GT somes with a lightweight aluminum hood already. Don't mean to offend anyone, just my view.

I'd consider a very good quality, stock replica CF hood, for the only two reasons. First being that CF is more rigid, and won't dent like aluminum. Hail or stone dents are nasty to get out of an aluminum hood, which is why my Ranger still has them. PDR doesn't work as well with softer Alu, compared to steel, and otherwise it gets replaced and re-painted anyway, so why not CF, or some other composite, like Sheet Moulding Compound. The other reason would be to leave some sort of detail unpainted, like the inside surfaces of the Legacy GT's hood scoop, just to give it a slight CF detail. something subtle, but unique. I think an RX8 with a CF hood would look awesome painted, with just the rotor shape at the back remaining clearcoated carbon fiber, with one or two other small CF details on the car, to tie it all together. Something similar could be done with the Legacy, I would think. It maybe a bit "rice", but at least it wouldn't be mismatched all-carbon-fiber, or even worse, one of those stupid clear acrylic hoods.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']Sorry, but I was really hoping that this car wouldn't even be considered for a carbon fiber hood. ...nothing screams boy racer or boy rycer like exterior carbon fiber body pieces. Epecially when the GT somes with a lightweight aluminum hood already. Don't mean to offend anyone, just my view.[/quote] The GIALLA car everyone likes has a CF hood. It's not very noticable because teh car is black, but it's still there.

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='Dr. Zevil']Sorry, but I was really hoping that this car wouldn't even be considered for a carbon fiber hood. ...nothing screams boy racer or boy rycer like exterior carbon fiber body pieces. Epecially when the GT somes with a lightweight aluminum hood already. Don't mean to offend anyone, just my view.[/quote] The GIALLA car everyone likes has a CF hood. It's not very noticable because teh car is black, but it's still there.[/quote] I don't like the Gialla car, and i know it has a CF hood.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil'][quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='Dr. Zevil']Sorry, but I was really hoping that this car wouldn't even be considered for a carbon fiber hood. ...nothing screams boy racer or boy rycer like exterior carbon fiber body pieces. Epecially when the GT somes with a lightweight aluminum hood already. Don't mean to offend anyone, just my view.[/quote] The GIALLA car everyone likes has a CF hood. It's not very noticable because teh car is black, but it's still there.[/quote] I don't like the Gialla car, and i know it has a CF hood.[/quote] I wasn't talking about the old farts when I was speaking of "everyone." :roll: :P I KNOW you don't like it, but many do.

Archived