LegacyGT.com

Need help with HVAC

My car is currently at the dealer for a warranty claim on the HVAC unit, which to me, seems to be malfunctioning. The problem that I'm having is when floor mode on the automatic climate control is selected either manually or in "AUTO" mode I end up getting about equal air out of the defrost vents and the floor vents. When I switch to the mixed mode (defrost/floor) there is almost no difference in the amount of airflow to either the floor or defrost vents versus the floor only mode. I don't recall this being a "feature" of the car and on long drives in cold months the HVAC system ends up blowing cold A/C air out of the defrost vents and blowing hot air out of the floor vents. this eventually leads to cold faces and dry eyes for people in the front seats.

I'm hoping that a fellow member can take the time on thier 05/06 LGT to give me an idea of airflow they get out of the defrost vents while thier floor only mode is selected. If you are a local member that would be even better.

The dealer is telling me that the system is functioning normally. Again I feel the amount of air coming out of the defroster is unreasonable while floor only mode is selected. I don't have much ground to stand on without a comparison example. I want to make sure this is "normal" behavior of our auto climate system before I push it any further to be resolved. My car is five days from being out of bumper-to-bumper coverage, but at least the problem is documented and should be covered.

Strange as it sounds, the floor mode will give you output on the defroster vents. If you go with the mix of floor and dash vents, you no longer get the output from the defroster vents. Check the owner's manual, the documentation is there. If you don't want anything but floor level air, go with the floor/dash mix and close the dash vents, or point them at the side windows.

Thanks bluesuby. I'm aware that the floor mode is supposed to give some air out the defroster vent, but I was more concerned with the amount of air coming out the defroster vent relative to the floor on floor only mode. As stated there seemed to be no difference in airfloe between fllor only and mixed modes. All that said, I was able to compare to an '09 they had on the lot with dual zone climate control and to my dismay it worked almost identically to mine in the floor only mode. I guess I'm doomed to live with the crappy dueling zone HVAC system in this car. Not only does one side fight the other with different temp setting, but the floor output and defroster output fight each other to keep the cabin at a constant temperature at the expense of my warm lower extremities and cold face and dry eyes:( I wish I had my old STi's single zone climate control back.

Maybe you can get a job where you can wear shorts to work?

Not sure how that would solve any problem that I've mentioned, but I can and in summer months regularly do wear shorts to work;)

Archived