LegacyGT.com

Front right wheel/tire makes noise

Hey so I don't want to sound dumb, but I might. My car makes a like knocking/popping sound when I creep over big bumps, potholes and sometimes when I turn left. It sort of sounds like the front passenger wheel is rattling around in the wheel well. I know it's not rubbing anything. I believe it is a suspension problem, maybe a wheel bearing or something. Anyway I'm new to Subaru's and not sure what it is. Anybody got an idea of what may be making my wheel make this noise? Let me know when you get a chance. I want to address this issue and get it fixed. Thanks.

Have you checked the axle boots (CV Joints) under the car? If they tear open, dirt and grime gets into the universal joints and dries them out and eventually destroys them.

In other words, do you have this problem:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/cvboot_torn.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I looked under the car and noticed that the boots on my CV joints were in tact and not torn. I'm thinking that it might be a loose strut. I know the struts are in need of getting replaced. I want to know for sure though what could possibly be making the noise. What do you mean exactly by bushing play?

• 3 months later...
No I haven't taken it in or anything bc I'm a little broke right now, but I'm thinking it may be broken strut mount along with bad struts. I know I need to get those replaced so when i get that done (hopefully here soon) I will solve the problem. If you get yours fix or diagnosed before I do you should let me know what the problem was. That would be much appreciated and I will do the same.

Stuff like this can be serious. Get it checked out by someone who knows what they are doing. Stuff can break and cause an accident (remember the last time you saw a car on the side of the road with the wheel bent under it?). Take public transit until you know what is wrong and how serious it is before you kill yourself or someone else.
It is still ugly.

• I Donated
Stuff like this can be serious. Get it checked out by someone who knows what they are doing. Stuff can break and cause an accident (remember the last time you saw a car on the side of the road with the wheel bent under it?). Take public transit until you know what is wrong and how serious it is before you kill yourself or someone else.

This is the first non-trolling post I've ever seen you make.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Another possibility is a bad ball joint. Yank on the wheel and if there is a lot of play that could be your problem. A lot of play could also be a bad wheel bearing. The reason I say that it could be a bad ball joint is that when I went over small potholes or bumps I heard this knocking noise. Originally I thought it might be a bad motor or transmission mount, wheel bearing or a loose strut. The ball joint was a bit of a pita to replace but once I got the right tool I was pretty happy.

To check your endlinks get under there and take a look and check if they are loose or broken. The bolts should be good and tight, at least 35 ft lbs iirc.

• 2 weeks later...
I looked more closely today and discovered that both front CV joint boots are ripped and I want to replace the whole CV joint. Anyone know where to get decent ones at? Also, I think this will get rid of the noise, but I'm open to comments if anyone thinks it is something else. I checked the end links and they looked fine and weren't loose or anything. Thanks.

Are you wanting to swap in a new half axle? They are really easy to swap in. Even if just the boot it ripped it is often easier to install a new axle instead of replacing the boot. Saves a lot of time.

You can get decent whole half-axles at just about any parts store. There are even remanufactured axles for about $75. I think they usually run about $125 per axle.

• I Donated

No, the CV joints (there are two on each side....inner and outer) are just part of the axle. If you buy a new axle aka half shaft, it comes complete with the boots and the joints on it. All you have to do is drop it into the car.

They cost about $50 each. They are not expensive or hard to replace.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

So after multiple tests and considerable trial and error fixes I have still not found the cause of my knocking noise in the wheel well. The tie rods, wheel bearing, control arms, cv boots, struts, and mounts are all in working condition. I did not torque check the front endlinks but those are in place and not loose.

I also ripped off my engine cover and factory splash guard underneath to eliminate any rattling plastic.

Any other ideas?

Archived