LegacyGT.com

sonofa...5MT whining, should I start saving $$?

iNVAR

SO, background: 2 weeks ago, had to reboot an axle, lost a bit of tranny fluid from pulling it out, but not too much. Put everything back together. Checked tranny fluid level on the dipstick, about 3/4 full still, should be fine, right?

I checked the dipstick again when I got home, after driving, warm, level, engine off, dipstick still at about 1/2 to 3/4 full, should still be fine. It was late and dark, no light, hard to top it off then, so I didn't bother. Temperatures around 45F average. No strange noises other than the usual 5MT whine I've always had. Car drove fine, nothing out of the ordinary at all.

Fast forward 2 weeks to today, temperature outside is a very chilly and windy 25-30F. I drove in to work this morning early in the AM, didn't hear anything, BUT it might've been because the heater was on full blast. Car didn't feel any different driving wise.

After work, drove home, and the sun was out, so I could lower the heater to low. Outside temperature was still only 25-30F and windy, but you know... being in the sun helps you stay warmer.

That's when I heard whining in 3rd gear around the 2000+ range, which sent shivers down by spine. I noticed it right when I got home, so I drove around the block to see what was going on.

1. Only happens in 3rd at 2000+
  2. Happens with any amount of throttle, more noticeable under moderate acceleration.
  3. Does NOT happen in any other gear.
  4. Does NOT happen if I have the clutch pedal depressed.
  5. It did NOT whine yesterday, but it was also about 20 degrees warmer (around 50F outside...crazy temperature change huh??)
  6. Is very high pitched, not the usual whine. And definitely NOT the turbo spooling. I'm far into vacuum and besides, if it was the turbo, it would do it in other gears too.

Pulled into my garage, shut the car off and immediately checked the tranny dipstick. The fluid level BARELY appeared on the dipstick. NOT GOOD. I immediately dumped in probably about 1qt of Extra-S from my 5 gallon drum :lol and checked that it was F and went for a drive again. The whine is less pronounced, or at least I THINK it is. Maybe it's just subjective bias.

SO, the question is... did I just screw my transmission up from running low on tranny fluid?

OR is it entirely possible that this is just cold temperature related?

As far as your story goes, you definitely didn't drive with low trans fluid.

Almost certainly a minor resonance related to the cold. But you'll find out soon if it continues or gets worse :)

Nonetheless, if you felt it was alot less pronounced after adding more fluid, then it's almost certainly not some sort of permanent problem.

Hmm... okay, hope so.... :( Still kind of worries me. I guess maybe it's just a bit of the OCD nature in me coming out.

It was pretty cold last year too and I don't remember hearing a 3rd gear whine, argh.

Thanks!

I ran out of Extra-S. I sold some a while back for cheap to an LGT member, and I did a drain/refill twice already since I bought the car with 37K miles. I am at JUST about 70K now. :(

I hope it warms up... That would probably help me determine if I need to keep worrying hehe.

I wouldn't worry. The 5mt is good, you've only got 70k miles, you've been using a great oil and you weren't that low for a short period.

These cars are noisy. I had no idea a car could make as many trans/turbo/suspension noises as my STi does. Be aware if it gets louder.

Noticed the same issue since it got real cold yesterday morning, and the tranny needed to really warm up to shift easily also. I think we are both in Queens so weather is identical. I have the whining issue regardless of the weather, but in the winter it does get noticeably louder. I pay it no mind considering there are so many other creaks and rattles in the car. One thing i did notice though is that if you keep your hand on the wheel instead of the shifter it is quieter. I guess the noise doesn't resonate as much, who knows...

This morning car wouldn't even start for a while due to the one step colder plugs, and finally when it did it took a few minutes for her to want to go into reverse :(

I don't see anything dripping. Parking spots and garage are bone dry.... Maybe the car was on a slight incline when I took the reading in front of my garage yesterday, which might've affected the reading? I dunno... I wouldn't think it would affect it by THAT much...This morning it's even colder out as stocklgt can attest to. About 15-20F and windy. 3rd seemed to whine more, even after driving about 10-15 minutes on the highway.

Also, stocklgt, my car whines regardless of where my hand is. But in general, I never have my hand on the shifter unless I'm actively shifting. Don't want to put any pressure on the gear lever while the car's actually moving!

BTW, I'm in Flushing. :)

These trans make alot of noise and then tend to get real stiff when cold. The trans also heats up slowly. Go out for a 30 minute drive. If the 3rd gear whine changes from start to finish, it's temperature related. If it starts the same it's probably not temp related.

These things make noise though, so I still wouldn't sweat it much until you suddenly no longer have 3rd gear :)

This morning car wouldn't even start for a while due to the one step colder plugs, and finally when it did it took a few minutes for her to want to go into reverse :(

One step colder plugs won't affect cold starting one bit. They're the same temperature as the OEM plug before the engine starts running. The heat range just refers to it's ability to dissipate heat into the cylinder head.

One step colder plugs won't affect cold starting one bit. They're the same temperature as the OEM plug before the engine starts running. The heat range just refers to it's ability to dissipate heat into the cylinder head.

I know what "one step colder" refers to, I was just under the impression they may have something to do with why the car won't start well in the winter. I wonder what else it could be related to, maybe I need a new fuel pump, it's been louder than normal also. This is the 2nd Walbro in a few months.

How did the trans sound this morning? It's not so bad out, at least the wind died down, my car sounded normal after warmup. Still took a little longer than normal for the car to shift right though.

I know what "one step colder" refers to, I was just under the impression they may have something to do with why the car won't start well in the winter. I wonder what else it could be related to, maybe I need a new fuel pump, it's been louder than normal also. This is the 2nd Walbro in a few months.

How did the trans sound this morning? It's not so bad out, at least the wind died down, my car sounded normal after warmup. Still took a little longer than normal for the car to shift right though.

x2 about one step colder, I have had them in for years. You may have a fuel pump issue. Before you do that. Clean the MAF and IAT sensors.

OP put someone in the back seat and take the car out for a ride see if the noise is coming from the rear diff.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Shouldn't be the rear diff. It's definitely only in 3rd and gear dependent. Have been through RPMs in all gears, different throttle positions, speeds, etc.

I can hear the whine, and immediately shift up or down, and it instantly disappears even if I bring it back up to the same RPM in the next gear up/down.

As for temperature, it was warmer this morning as stocklgt said. The whine seems to be somewhat reduced, but not gone, still there. It's even warmer this afternoon than it was earlier in the morning, so I guess I'll see on the way home from work!

*knocks on wood*

Shouldn't be the rear diff. It's definitely only in 3rd and gear dependent. Have been through RPMs in all gears, different throttle positions, speeds, etc.

I can hear the whine, and immediately shift up or down, and it instantly disappears even if I bring it back up to the same RPM in the next gear up/down.

As for temperature, it was warmer this morning as stocklgt said. The whine seems to be somewhat reduced, but not gone, still there. It's even warmer this afternoon than it was earlier in the morning, so I guess I'll see on the way home from work!

*knocks on wood*

If it makes you feel any better you are more than welcome to take a ride in my car one of these days to see if the noise is similar or not. Tehn again we could both have issues and not know it. Mine seems to be more pronounced in1st, then again in 2nd gear at around 3-3500rpm, then quiets down out of 2nd. I think the weather and your insanity are the factors lol. I too am very uptight but my attention goes to the rattling from the dash, sway bushings, and sway bars hitting my exhaust. I just turn up the radio and deal

These are some noisey vehicles lol. My been whining in any gear since October. New noise is on startup a little whine. Sounds like a tensioner but stops when I press the clutch. Then when I press the clutch it seems to make a whirling suction sound. My guess would be the T.O.B. Did the tranny cocktail with the red line gear oil. Hopefully it will quite things down. If any thing it shifts a whole lot better.

I think you have time still. Mine has been whining for 20k miles. I have 95k now.

The dealer says my center diff is grinding, so I assume that it's going out. I refuse to fix this transmission because of the potential for secondary damage to the syncros due to material in oil. I had a copper sheen and some small particles when I drained the oil 10k ago. 6MT swap is pretty the only path forward at this point.

You can get a brand new 07 STi trans for $3500 from Heuberger (25% off retail - forum vendor).

Invar - Sounds not good. Gear dependant and regardless of warmed up status indicates a definite gear problem. Luckily, a specific gear really narrows it down for you.

Start thinking about how you'd want to deal with it and what can be done at the same time. Remember too it may not need to be dealt with right away.

Archived