LegacyGT.com

AVO or K+N filter

LegacyDan

I cleaned and re-oiled my K+N filter about 5k ago, i think i over oiled it and have to clean the MAF now. Question is should i just bin the K+N rather than trying to clean it again and go for an oil free AVO one or is there any other you guys would recommend. Car was mapped with K+N filter so i presume a different filter in it will be fine?

I had the Perrin drop-in filter. I pulled it to inspect and the MAF was covered in oil (Perrin's original oiling, not mine). I quickly replaced it with a cheap stock paper replacement from NAPA and I think I'm going to go with the AVO for peace of mind.

A drop in filter shouldn't affect your map.

I have a AVO one, the directions say to oil the AVO filter. Pluse the AVO comes pre oiled if you look at it in the package. never had a problem with mine oiled, pluse it keeps all the dirt out if you oil yours.

:confused: My AVO did not come oiled, nor did the cleaning instrctions say anything about oiling it.

The AVO high flow pop in Subaru Legacy GT panel air filter has been designed specifically for the Subaru models. Made from sturdy cotton fiber, it increases air flow, allowing the engine to make more power and torque. Yet thanks to a special dry film it has equal rates of engine protection. This dry film design does not use oil, like most other performance filters, which keeps your MAF from being damaged from excess oil. Thanks to it's high tech design the AVO panel air filter is washable, extending the life beyond your standard drop-in air filter. You simply need to soak it in warm, soapy water, rinse it out with water, then let it air dry.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-1715/AVO-High-Flow-Subaru/Detail

i was under the impression too it was oil free filter. Anyway cant seem to get the AVO panel filter anywhere cheap. Shipping to Ireland is working out at nearly 80 dollars, so not really worth it, ill just clean my K+N one and re-oil it lightly

if you live anywere were there is dirty air or dirt flying around you should always oil your filter. it will catch the fine particals from going into the system. I have always oild the filter and had no problems, but that is just the way I have done it.

if you live anywere were there is dirty air or dirt flying around you should always oil your filter.

so if you live on earth? :lol::lol:

For the record the AVO comes un-oiled & should never be oiled. I've had a few of em over the past 6 years & I recommend it.

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Keep your K&N. That is what I have. Oil it, let the oil soak in, then blot it with newspaper to remove any excess oil. The MAF should be cleaned evytime you put in a new air filter (or clean the reusable one). It is an easy job.

• 3 months later...

Question....what is the deciding factor of when to replace the AVO filter ? Today I cleaned mine for the sixth time. I used Dawn dish detergent and warn water and let it air dry.

A carefull examination showed no rips , holes etc. So I reused it. Some say it can be used a " few " times . It looks OK to me . Whats the consensus ?

The official instructions say to service (wash) it every 10,000 miles or 5,000 miles for dusty/sandy operating conditions. Replace it when there's damage to the cotton weave or the filter body. They recommend to replace it after two filter services.

Thanks. Still leaves me wondering. Replace after two cleanings , even if looking free of damage or to improve AVO's profits ?

With careful cleaning it seems you can reuse it many times or is there some

( unseen ) reason to discard it after two uses ?

Thanks. Still leaves me wondering. Replace after two cleanings , even if looking free of damage or to improve AVO's profits ?

With careful cleaning it seems you can reuse it many times or is there some

( unseen ) reason to discard it after two uses ?

I just did my 2nd cleaning last night, still looks fine. I'll probably keep re-using it until the cotton weaves start frilling up or ripping apart.

Here's a quote from apexjapan, which is AVO themselves:

"When it comes to length of use, it depends on the owner's maintenance of this filter. There are users on this forum that have gone over 50k on it, and there are others that haven't. That gets down to how often it's cleaned, how well it's cleaned, and also the conditions that the filter is exposed to."

Archived