LegacyGT.com

5EAT: Anyone else's trans 'clunk' when coasting from a stop in manual mode?

t0ad

Just wondering. I'm in manual mode about 99% of the time since I hate the way the damned thing shifts itself around the city. Here's what happens. When I come to a stop on a downward incline and it kicks itself down to 1st, I sometimes let the car roll down hill with traffic, not applying any throttle. After it gets to a certain speed, the car will 'clunk' and start engine braking itself.

I'm assuming this is just the fact that the trans is disengaged while at a stop, and when it feels itself speeding up and manual mode is telling it to be in 1st, it engages rather abruptly. It doesn't do this when the car is in auto or sport. Anyone else notice this? It's kind of unnerving, but I don't think it's a problem, per say .. I'm just looking for input.

On another note, I'm planning on ripping out my VB and sending it off to IPT soon .. getting tired of those rather sluggish feeling 2-3 shifts. Is it simple enough to get it out of there? I'd assume you just drop the pan and it's right there on the bottom, but I haven't really crawled under the car and looked with the intent of removing the trans pan.

Yes..... that is, when I am coasting down TO a stop, in either mode, the transmission will made a thump when it downshifts into 1st.

The transmission is not disengaged at a stop, far from it. At a stop the torque converter is absorbing the engine output while the wheels are stopped.

Before IPT rebuilt my tranny I had some thumps when upshifting. As a consequence of some CEL removal and resetting the TCU I noticed that noticeable gear change thump gone.

I think it may be time for a) your VB upgrade :), 2)a transmission flush, and 3) perhaps some BG additives to clean out the transmission. Meanwhile, get someone to reset your TCU (won't happen by disconnecting your battery) and let the TCU relearn for a while.

What's a VB upgrade? I never knew what that was.

Community Standards

Welcome to the LegacyGT.com and OutbackXT.com forums! We look forward to your participation in our online communities to talk about anything and everything related to our common interest in all things Subaru, and other cars too if you must ;)

These Forums are governed by the following set of standards that will apply to all community members and their posts. The Admins and Moderators reserve the right to remove any material from the public forums that does not (in our judgment) comply with these standards and Admins can revoke posting privileges at our discretion and without warning or explanation. All Admin decisions are considered final. Most of this is common sense, but now you can't say you didn't know what is acceptable and what is not.

General conduct:

1) Be respectful and civil to other members (this includes Admins, Mods, and Vendors), even if you disagree with them.

2) Any unacceptable content (threads, posts, member names, avatars or subject lines containing profanity, sexually graphic, or offensive language, etc) can be edited, closed, or deleted.

3) We do not allow harassing, threatening, racist, abusive, hateful, violent, demeaning or obscene language or behavior.

4) Do not flood or spam, post chain letters, pyramid schemes, junk mail, or URLs for outside sites that violate any of these guidelines.

5) No commercial solicitation or advertising will be allowed, unless you have 'Vendor' status. If you are interested in Vendor status, please visit our Services Page for subscription options.

6) This is a public discussion forum. Do not post personal or any other information that you do not want made public.

7) Please keep in mind that other members may claim expertise or status (legal, medical, etc) that they do not, in fact, possess, and use discretion in following their advice.

8) If you come across a post that you feel is inappropriate, please use the "Report" function and notify us.

Things to remember about posting:

1. Check the 'Stickies' in each forum before posting - chances are, your question has already been answered and you won't have to wait for someone to reply with the information you seek.

2. Check out the forums and descriptions - the info you seek is probably already in one and doing this will help you find it.

3. Whenever possible, post a reply to an existing thread vs. starting a new one...it helps keep things organized

4. Before starting a 'new thread', ask yourself:

....a) "Will this contribute to the group?"

....b) "Did I search for my answer before posting?"

5. Please stay on topic with your posts. If you want to say something that is not relevant to the post you are reading, this is a good reason to start a new thread. Mods are instructed to monitor for off-topic (OT) posts and get them back on track. Doing this shows respect for the members who posted the original thread - no hijacks please.

6. Have an opinion or got something to say?

....a) Back them up with reasons and facts where appropriate - this will keep the 'flaming' to a minimum

....b) Please be respectful of other members when doing so - a variety of opinions is what makes the world go 'round.

NOTE: Those in violation of the rules will be subject to the following steps levied by the Admins (or Mods as appropriate):

1) Warning :redface:

2) Probation :(

3) Temporary Banning :mad:

4) Permanent Banning :eek:

And the Most Important Item of All?

- This site is only as good as the content, experience and information you, the members contribute. By understanding and practicing the info listed above, this will continue to be a great place to learn, share and spend some time online.

Please feel free to PM an Admin or Moderator if you have questions - thanks for reading down this far! :D

Community Standards

Welcome to the LegacyGT.com and OutbackXT.com forums! We look forward to your participation in our online communities to talk about anything and everything related to our common interest in all things Subaru, and other cars too if you must ;)

These Forums are governed by the following set of standards that will apply to all community members and their posts. The Admins and Moderators reserve the right to remove any material from the public forums that does not (in our judgment) comply with these standards and Admins can revoke posting privileges at our discretion and without warning or explanation. All Admin decisions are considered final. Most of this is common sense, but now you can't say you didn't know what is acceptable and what is not.

General conduct:

1) Be respectful and civil to other members (this includes Admins, Mods, and Vendors), even if you disagree with them.

2) Any unacceptable content (threads, posts, member names, avatars or subject lines containing profanity, sexually graphic, or offensive language, etc) can be edited, closed, or deleted.

3) We do not allow harassing, threatening, racist, abusive, hateful, violent, demeaning or obscene language or behavior.

4) Do not flood or spam, post chain letters, pyramid schemes, junk mail, or URLs for outside sites that violate any of these guidelines.

5) No commercial solicitation or advertising will be allowed, unless you have 'Vendor' status. If you are interested in Vendor status, please visit our Services Page for subscription options.

6) This is a public discussion forum. Do not post personal or any other information that you do not want made public.

7) Please keep in mind that other members may claim expertise or status (legal, medical, etc) that they do not, in fact, possess, and use discretion in following their advice.

8) If you come across a post that you feel is inappropriate, please use the "Report" function and notify us.

Things to remember about posting:

1. Check the 'Stickies' in each forum before posting - chances are, your question has already been answered and you won't have to wait for someone to reply with the information you seek.

2. Check out the forums and descriptions - the info you seek is probably already in one and doing this will help you find it.

3. Whenever possible, post a reply to an existing thread vs. starting a new one...it helps keep things organized

4. Before starting a 'new thread', ask yourself:

....a) "Will this contribute to the group?"

....b) "Did I search for my answer before posting?"

5. Please stay on topic with your posts. If you want to say something that is not relevant to the post you are reading, this is a good reason to start a new thread. Mods are instructed to monitor for off-topic (OT) posts and get them back on track. Doing this shows respect for the members who posted the original thread - no hijacks please.

6. Have an opinion or got something to say?

....a) Back them up with reasons and facts where appropriate - this will keep the 'flaming' to a minimum

....b) Please be respectful of other members when doing so - a variety of opinions is what makes the world go 'round.

NOTE: Those in violation of the rules will be subject to the following steps levied by the Admins (or Mods as appropriate):

1) Warning :redface:

2) Probation :(

3) Temporary Banning :mad:

4) Permanent Banning :eek:

And the Most Important Item of All?

- This site is only as good as the content, experience and information you, the members contribute. By understanding and practicing the info listed above, this will continue to be a great place to learn, share and spend some time online.

Please feel free to PM an Admin or Moderator if you have questions - thanks for reading down this far! :D

+1

SEARCH

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

If you want to get technical the 4th bullet point is only referring to a new thread starter not poster in a thread.

And let's be realistic here, was there ever a thread created that no one asks a question or says something that's off topic and useless?

There's no need for that...

4. Before starting a'new thread', ask yourself: "Did I search for my answer before posting?"

If you want to get technical the 4th bullet point is only referring to a new thread starter not poster in a thread.

And let's be realistic here, was there ever a thread created that no one asks a question or says something that's off topic and useless?

There's no need for that...

4. Before starting a'new thread', ask yourself: "Did I search for my answer before posting?"

And you helped answer the poster's question how?:rolleyes:

This is not the first time this question has been asked recently. Don't get all bitchy and technical when someone tries to help a new member do things right, in a non-personal way.... by referring them to "Rules" tab at the top of the page. It is appropriate forum protocol to search before posting a question. Merely being a typical smart alec and retorting "SEARCH" seems far more offensive than pointing someone to some official forum rules that may help them overall.

Perhaps YOU should refresh yourself with the same.

This Transmission Forum is replete with VB upgrade information especially in recent, first page, threads.

VB refers to a transmission's "Valve Body" upgrade, available from a company such as IPT. Enough time was wasted on that question. A good search would have answered it faster than waiting for a response from anyone else.

Anyone looked at going to a different, high-stall torque converter? Is such a thing even available for the LGT and/or has anyone tried it?

VB refers to a transmission's "Valve Body" upgrade, available from a company such as IPT. Enough time was wasted on that question. A good search would have answered it faster than waiting for a response from anyone else.

Anyone looked at going to a different, high-stall torque converter? Is such a thing even available for the LGT and/or has anyone tried it?

That, too, is available from IPT.

Contact John/IPT if you are interested. He will tell you all about them.

I have one to go with my built 5EAT. To keep the stock TC just would not make sense IMO, for more than one reason.

Notice any difference with the new TC? I've heard the high-stall aids boost spool from a stop...

Daily driving reveals it as tighter than the 'old' one if anything. Since I've broken both the 5EAT and rear diff with high stall launches I've been keeping them under 3k, mostly 2500 or so. But if I'm in 3rd, for example, at 2k and nail it, it flashes quickly much higher building boost and taking off.

The new TC has been rebuilt, not only to a higher stall but stronger as well. Once the insides were complete it was furnace brazed before being put back together, then balanced.

The combination of built TC and 5EAT with it's modified VB not only feels good from a reliability standpoint, I enjoy its performance characteristics every time I drive it.

People who think a maual transmission is the only road for an enthusiast to take simply haven't driven a good automatic. Meet me at a stoplight ;).

Just wondering. I'm in manual mode about 99% of the time since I hate the way the damned thing shifts itself around the city. Here's what happens. When I come to a stop on a downward incline and it kicks itself down to 1st, I sometimes let the car roll down hill with traffic, not applying any throttle. After it gets to a certain speed, the car will 'clunk' and start engine braking itself.

I'm assuming this is just the fact that the trans is disengaged while at a stop, and when it feels itself speeding up and manual mode is telling it to be in 1st, it engages rather abruptly. It doesn't do this when the car is in auto or sport. Anyone else notice this? It's kind of unnerving, but I don't think it's a problem, per say .. I'm just looking for input.

On another note, I'm planning on ripping out my VB and sending it off to IPT soon .. getting tired of those rather sluggish feeling 2-3 shifts. Is it simple enough to get it out of there? I'd assume you just drop the pan and it's right there on the bottom, but I haven't really crawled under the car and looked with the intent of removing the trans pan.

my car 'clunks' occasionally while in heavy, heavy creeping traffic (below 5 mph), if i let go of the gas and coast in 1st, sometimes my car will "clunk"... not sure if it's an engine break, i just figured it's because i'm in 1st gear for the past hour or so stuck in traffic going up to 15mph then coasting back down to 0mph.

brian

Archived