LegacyGT.com

OEM hitch w/ Thule T2 rack

spiderman71

Is it me or WTF????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help.

I got the OEM Subaru hitch and I like it better in all ways than everything out there but now I got a problem with hooking the Thule T2 bike hitch rack onto it because I can barely get any tool (wrench/pliers/vice grips) around the bolt from the hitch rack to the OEM hitch to fasten it tight.

Any people that have this configuration would know.

Please give me some insight.

Thanks!!!!!!

Several options. I have the exact same set up.

1. Buy the expensive Thule lock for peace of mind, has a long body for attaching the lock mechanism with the hex head accessible away from the tight confines. This is the route I took.

2. By an allen-head or torx metric bolt (thinner 12 point socket). Per another member's suggestion, use a cordless drill with the hex bit driver for easy/fast off and on. I have two allen head "spares" just in case.

FYI, my threads in the Thule were dinged and I can only thread the bolts on the left side. I will need to get a metric tap and clean out the right side if I want to use it. That being said, when the left side has been torqued down, I have found some loosening of the bolt after long trips. I may consider cutting each allen head thread body shorter and threading from each side to decrease the degrees of freedom of motion.

As far as security, I chain my bikes together and weave through the carrier, though that would probably not deter a determined thief.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yeah it is a tight fit. I can't use the Thule lock that comes with the T2 as the head of the bolt is too big to fit with the OEM hitch. I use another bolt that used to come with the T2 and that one has a 3/4 inch head that I can fit a socket onto (just barely). I can't lock the T2 but no one is stealing my t2 with the bolt being such a bitch to get to.

Archived