LegacyGT.com

New suby owner looking for a place to start

Noob looking for advice on where to start. (05 lgt 5eat) Daily driver so it has to stay reliable, but I'd like to start adding some upgrades. Like to add parts that I won't have to change out later as i add more. What gives to best bang for the buck?

We need more info,

What year?

Learn how to check to oil and top it off as needed, never let the oil get low.

make sure the banjo filter is removed on the back of the passenger side head.

make sure the cat in the up pipe is removed.

Are you good with a lap top ?

You'll want to get a custom tune. The oem map has flaws in it.

Check out Hexmods upgrade you the automatic tranny in the Transmission forum.

Oh welcome to the forum

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

We need more info,

What year?

Learn how to check to oil and top it off as needed, never let the oil get low.

make sure the banjo filter is removed on the back of the passenger side head.

make sure the cat in the up pipe is removed.

Are you good with a lap top ?

You'll want to get a custom tune. The oem map has flaws in it.

Check out Hexmods upgrade you the automatic tranny in the Transmission forum.

Oh welcome to the forum

-good with the oil, I know it's important on all cars but seems more so with turbos.

-banjo bolt was something I have on my list, was waiting on some warmer weather as i have no garage.

-do you suggest removing or upgrading? I was thinking about the cobb up and downpipe but am open to suggestions.

-comfortable with a laptop.

-thanks for the hexmods info, hadn't thought about that yet.

If I were you I would start with suspension until you research the different power mod routes. Just gather all the suspension mods and put them on at once so it only requires one alignment :)

What all mods would you recommend? Coil overs, Strut Braces, Sway Bar?

Yep decide if you want power or handling first, then work from there. unless your rich do an entire over hall

Definitely haven't hit the lottery so I'll have to pace myself. lol

I bought a Invidia catless up and Dp for my 05. You can find them on here or from one of the vendors here.

I bought mine from my Tuner, http://www.tuningalliance.com He hasn't updated his web site in a while, but email him if your interested. He bought a house a few months back and is fixing it up.

Support the people that support you or the forum. You may pay a little more then ebay crap, but your getting customer service too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I did start there. if you look i joined in august of last year. I've slowly been reading through topics in the forum, and have been playing with search to try and find info. I haven't yet found what i'm looking for yet so i thought I'd ask. lots of reviews and things on parts but I'm looking for the best place to start. Maybe i picked the wrong section to post but I figured it be more suited to ask in the 4th gen section since that's what i have.

OK that changes everything!!!!

First off I'd get the SPT intake. It's an intake so you know it makes more power and it sounds like way cooler than stock.

I'd get a set of used WRX 4 pot brakes too. They're red and look a lot like Brembos, but like a quarter of the cost.

Then I'd get a set of 18s for the front and 19s for the rear. That's what Corvettes run so you know it's good. I'd probably run a 10mm spacer in the rear too for that super aggressive staggered look.

I'd also get a hood scoop plug. People have found that water can get in there and ruin your engine. Plus it lessens aerodynamic drag so the car will have more top end.

I haven't really researched any of these parts, but someone recommended that I should put them on my car! I hope this helps!

well a lot of post here had people who were actually helpful and not just pompous a-holes. i didn't say i haven't researched any parts, i asked for a opinion from people who own the same car, the best place to start spending money to get the most bang for the buck. there are plenty of reviews on various parts, just having trouble deciding where to spend money first. thanks for nothing though, very helpful.

for me i did a SPT Cold Air intake, Perrin cat-less up pipe, OBXR cat-back and a accessport was my first 4 mods. Today I did a CNT cat-less Down Pipe and a Perrin Top Mount Intercooler. It's all about what you want to do. If I had to go back I would say skip the intake.

2006 Legacy GT 5EAT Perrin UP, SPT CAI, OBXR CBE, Catless DP, Perrin TMIC, Stage 2 AP tune

Soon after BNR 16G, Infamous Tune

Hope you haven't gotten soap in the intercooler...

I thought soap in the intercooler adds almost as much hp as a vtec sticker.

What you really need is an adjustable powerband, this one is less than $250 and should help you out quite a bit http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=30

I thought soap in the intercooler adds almost as much hp as a vtec sticker.

What you really need is an adjustable powerband, this one is less than $250 and should help you out quite a bit http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=30

:lol:

2006 Legacy GT 5EAT Perrin UP, SPT CAI, OBXR CBE, Catless DP, Perrin TMIC, Stage 2 AP tune

Soon after BNR 16G, Infamous Tune

Archived