LegacyGT.com

Microfiber and waterblade...

I will be returning the Big Blue Microfiber Towel and "Water Blade...

The water blade was junk! I have owned a "squigee" before and it was way better than this one. It is too stiff and has no little lip, it left more water on than it took off.

As for the Big Microfiber towel... it is way to big, to easly use, it didnt absorb much, it felt way more abrasive than my synthetic chamois, and wringing it out still left it damp, wich left water on my car... Im use to wringing out my synthetic, folding it a couple of times, and using it to wipe every drop of water DRY.

The small green MicroFiber towels, worked much better, and seemed much softer.

And the LambWool Mitt worked great!

But the Big Blue, and Blade are going back!

You aren't using it right if you think the Big Blue didn't work. Its supposed to be folded in quarters instead of being used full length. It is also more effective to 'blot' the water off if there is a lot on the surface of the car. However, different strokes for different folks. You are the first person I have ever heard have anything bad to say about waffle weave microfibers. Where did you purchase it at?

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

four star ofcourse.... I did fold it into quarters, but to me the bulk of it is too much to deal with... If it were half the size it might be better.

Blot? instead of wipe...hmmmm I will try it again to see if it works better. Still, my synthetic seems to get the surface complealy dry, if you wring it out enough, you can actually hear the squeek as you pass it. Do synthetics scratch? The reason I went with MicroFiber was to protect clear coat.

Microfiber is a lot safer than most synthetics, but it depends on the synthetic. I used an Absorber for years before getting a Big Blue and changing over. The Absorber seemed to be pretty safe. It also worked best blotting.

The water blade is pretty useless on a well waxed car. In fact, if you just run a slow stream of water over the car then most of the water will just slide right off anyway. I use the water blade primarily for windows now days.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

never had a problem with the water blade. Perhaps the one you have is from a different manufacturer?? Mine has VERY flexible tips on both sides and wipes the water right off. I know I need a coat of wax on the car, but I got something on there because when I wash my car the water just beads right up.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I'm not a big fan of the CA water blade, but it does work just fine. I have one and usually use it on the windows only. I just can't see why you had any problems with the big blue, which is a waffle weave microfiber. I've got a grey version of that towel and I love it. I can usually dry the car in one pass, without having to wring out even once with it.

A friend had the Big Blue, but he now uses the Griot's Garage microfiber towels. They're softer, and soak up an astounding amount of water. I love them. Plus they have little hand pockets, so that you can control them as you dry the car.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

When drying a car I use Made in USA 100% Cotton towels. I cut the tags off to make sure that they won't scratch my car. My current towels are white, red and black. The white towels are for drying, the red towels are for waxing the red cars and the black towels are for waxing the black cars. I have washed the towels at least 20 times and have never used any fabric softener. This has allowed them to absorb really well.

My current drying technique is to go over the whole car with an absorber, and then hit it with one of the white towels. I plan to buy a leaf blower when I get a house to help get water out of the nooks and crannies. I currently do all my detailing on the shady side of a parking lot after I wash the car at the local self-serve place.

Archived