LegacyGT.com

Difficulty getting into reverse

Nick

My GT sedan currently has 4300 miles, and came with the STI short-throw shifter. Since new I have had difficulty getting into reverse, especially on the first try. It doesn't seem to matter if the car/tranny is hot or cold. Sometimes it goes in smoothly, sometimes it takes 3 or 4 tries. Shifting into forward gears is fine, and has gotten smoother and smoother as the car has accumulated miles. Any other 5MT owners have the same reverse problem? -Nick

I have had a similar problem. One time shifter wasn't fully engaged and I heard a lovely grinding sound. I have found that if I am having difficulty putting the gear into reverse I will release the clutch pedal then fully depress and release the clutch pedal. Afterwards it should be easier to put it in gear.

I've noticed reverse is a bit "notchy" with my short shift kit. From the feel I sometimes expect it not to engage but it does it everytime. (I've only got 850 miles on the car though.) My well worn 79 911 has taught me the magic of double clutching so to me, this tranny is butter.

[quote name='Nick']My GT sedan currently has 4300 miles, and came with the STI short-throw shifter. Since new I have had difficulty getting into reverse, especially on the first try. It doesn't seem to matter if the car/tranny is hot or cold. Sometimes it goes in smoothly, sometimes it takes 3 or 4 tries. Shifting into forward gears is fine, and has gotten smoother and smoother as the car has accumulated miles. Any other 5MT owners have the same reverse problem? -Nick[/quote] Same..I usualy have to go up into first then reverse.. it sucks big time.

I don't have a manual, but, our Z06 vette does... Anyway, I sometimes have a tough time putting it into reverse as well. It seems it has a tough time synchronizing. If I shift it into 3rd gear then back to reverse it shifts perfectly. It seems it smooths everything out. I've also had this problem with other cars in the past.

[quote name='B4_Maniac'][quote name='Nick']My GT sedan currently has 4300 miles, and came with the STI short-throw shifter. Since new I have had difficulty getting into reverse, especially on the first try. It doesn't seem to matter if the car/tranny is hot or cold. Sometimes it goes in smoothly, sometimes it takes 3 or 4 tries. Shifting into forward gears is fine, and has gotten smoother and smoother as the car has accumulated miles. Any other 5MT owners have the same reverse problem? -Nick[/quote] Same..I usualy have to go up into first then reverse.. it sucks big time.[/quote] This is how I have always done it with any car thats hard to get reverse. Put it in first let the clutch out abit to get it to move the slightest bit forward and reverse will usually go straight in after...

The problem for the reverse is with all Subarus. I had a 04 WRX same problem. It happens because there are no syncros in reverse gear. Easiest fix = move slightly foward than put into reverse or cost slightly back to put into reverse. By moving slightly foward or reverse you are aligning the gears.

The official literature seems to suggest that there IS a synchro for reverse. However synchros aren't that effective when both sides of the transmission are not moving. The usual trick is to clutch in neutral for a second or shift into a forward gear. This is true for most transmissions, I don't know why it's news for the legacy.

Archived