LegacyGT.com

Anyone install the AVO Power Air Filter Kit on a 5th Gen LGT?

Has anyone installed the AVO Power Air Filter Kit (SUX01G42BKITT), link below, on a 5th gen LGT?

http://www.avoturboworld.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/48

I know the general consensus is that I probably don't NEED an intake, but that doesn't mean I don't WANT an intake. If anyone has experience with this, was it a pretty straightforward install, or were there issues?

Has anyone installed the AVO Power Air Filter Kit (SUX01G42BKITT), link below, on a 5th gen LGT?

http://www.avoturboworld.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/48

I know the general consensus is that I probably don't NEED an intake, but that doesn't mean I don't WANT an intake. If anyone has experience with this, was it a pretty straightforward install, or were there issues?

It won't fit. All the applicable models have the intake tube going toward the fender. Our GT has the intake tube coming from the fender.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

It won't fit. All the applicable models have the intake tube going toward the fender. Our GT has the intake tube coming from the fender.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

The intake does go towards the fender I'm not sure why you say it's coming from. I don't see why you couldn't make it fit as long as the maf sensor fits the tube opening.

Now getting it to work properly is a whole different story. May look "cooler" but could increase the air temperature coming into the turbo.

On the models that's meant to fit, the intake tube runs forward along the block and hooks over toward the fender, whereas ours comes up the fender and hooks out toward the center of the car. You could probably plug that MAF housing into the flexy hose that connects to the airbox, but you're still faced with the issue of sucking in hotter air.

The intake does go towards the fender I'm not sure why you say it's coming from. I don't see why you couldn't make it fit as long as the maf sensor fits the tube opening.

Now getting it to work properly is a whole different story. May look "cooler" but could increase the air temperature coming into the turbo.

Weird I certainly don't remember my intake being routed like this one...this whole time we could have been using 4th gen parts. :p

For clarity I added a yellow arrow to show the intake tube and orange arrow to show the direction of airflow.

150147_10150943804472764_169525982763_10169992_478257424_n-01-01.jpg.fb0abd0acf768c7dc27355b3e7d9aa86.jpg

I know it's not routed like 4th Gen but the intake goes towards the fender and the loops down to the turbo. It would not be able to be mounted exactly the same but you could definitely get it to fit. Still stuck with hotter air and probably poorer performance or a wash if you're lucky.

I know it's not routed like 4th Gen but the intake goes towards the fender and the loops down to the turbo. It would not be able to be mounted exactly the same but you could definitely get it to fit. Still stuck with hotter air and probably poorer performance or a wash if you're lucky.

But the purpose is to attach it to the intake and route the filter pod into the fender. Which on our car it would not do. So in terms of the way it is engineered to work it doesn't fit our cars. So all those parts that serve to seal the filter and intake tube from hot air...you guessed it don't fit our car...

No.

There is certainly no power benefit until you significantly upgrade the turbo.

Remember also that any intake mod requires a pro tune for proper operation, and they won't necessarily work as well as stock even then.

A downpipe will do more for turbo noises and response too.

I think that pretty much answers my question, appreciate the comments.

So at this point, is there any point to doing anything to the intake other than a drop-in K&N filter?

Yes, a drop in AEM Dryflow filter. K&N is old tech.

You can always get the Samco intake hoses to bling things up a little and smooth out the intake path between the MAF and turbo.

Yes, a drop in AEM Dryflow filter. K&N is old tech.

You can always get the Samco intake hoses to bling things up a little and smooth out the intake path between the MAF and turbo.

Thanks, just made the change today. I've been feeling like old tech a lot lately too, but I'm working on it

Try to stay away from suggestions from those who don't have a 5th gen legacy. Our cars are pretty unique and sometimes annoyingly so, lol. Other people who are uninformed will assume it has all the parts every other legacy/wrx has and their eyes will kind of gloss over when you try to tell them differently.

Try to stay away from suggestions from those who don't have a 5th gen legacy. Our cars are pretty unique and sometimes annoyingly so, lol. Other people who are uninformed will assume it has all the parts every other legacy/wrx has and their eyes will kind of gloss over when you try to tell them differently.
That moment when you mention that it has a front low mount turbo and doesn't have an up-pipe.....lol!

Archived