LegacyGT.com

Nameless Downpipe: Official 5th Gen GT Install Thread

I believe it was SixStar that figured out that our headers are double walled, thus their need to make a custom one for SomeZero.

I'm not handy enough to fully understand the implications. HMS has only viewed the headers from the bottom of the car with everything still solidly attached. Their concern with EWG's was that the headers were casted instead of tubing, but once the saw the piping, they figured they could install some. I'm not sure how double-walled headers complicates things.

Is this something they can discover if they take the turbo off? Or is it really only noticeable once you cut into them?

Edited by Ellesedil

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The collector at the turbo is a cast collector. Installing a EWG there is not possible. The tubing from the heads to the collector is tapered on the ends, apparently indicating the double wall situation. The EWG needs to be installed at the collector. To balance EG pressures and temps from each pair of cylinders.

No. Is it the larger flapper we want, or a longer actuator arm?

Either way, HMS hasn't disconnected my downpipe or looked at my turbo yet.

Larger flapper would do more. You need more throw on the waste gate actuator if you want it to open more, or cut that piece of pipe off that goes up to the turbine outlet. Not sure if that would do anything, but I am sure the larger flapper would.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Larger flapper would do more. You need more throw on the waste gate actuator if you want it to open more, or cut that piece of pipe off that goes up to the turbine outlet. Not sure if that would do anything, but I am sure the larger flapper would.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Are you suggesting that a larger flapper means a larger hole for the wastegate?

I came accross this on my FB feed.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=501219016896221&id=259423904409068

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

Heh, I'm not removing my turbo and sending it to Ottawa, Canada for who knows how long. Why can't they just send the parts out along with detailed instructions for shops to follow?

Edit: Never mind. Found this: https://m.facebook.com/turbopartscanada/photos/a.283798391971619.1073741838.259423904409068/474098422941614/?type=3&source=48

This upgraded waste gate flapper along with our CNC porting will increase the flow area by 45% to eliminate your boost creeping issues. This will make for a more solid tune and eliminate the cost of installing an external waste gate set up. We can install this upgrade on the VF39 VF43 VF48 VF52 series of turbochargers.

Figures, no VF54. Although to be fair, I've doubt they've had the opportunity to try their flapper on one.

Edited by Ellesedil

I came accross this on my FB feed.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=501219016896221&id=259423904409068

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

Going to this shop on Monday to get a bigger flapper install.I will keep you guys posted.

Edited by frenchy
I dont speak English to good but I French alot.

please post an update i am thinking of going to see them in spring as well.

I will actually trop it off tomorrow. I will keep you guys posted on all the options they offer and install info on the flapper.

Edited by frenchy

• 2 weeks later...

So... The shop I was going with for the protune got knocked around by Irma. Definitely not getting tuned this month. So in the meantime I'm looking at other minor projects and even trying to reach out to local turbo shops to see if they can do something like bnr's 18g hybrid since they aren't doing any more unless group buy. Maybe I can get this dp off, tapped for O2, and reseated perfectly before the tune. Seeing it's clearance tolerances, I definitely don't want to take it off after the tune.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Edited by Starks

Wait what? BNR is not doing anymore turbos?

From the bnr thread, I might have confused bnr and far 😂

No, this is definitely not recommended. Go search on Deadbolt VF-40-18G for a full development history / horror story about big compressors matched to small turbines. It's crucial to maintain balance between exhaust and intake flow. There's no point cramming more air into the cylinders than you can scavenge via the exhaust.

Since any of these hybrid turbos have to be custom built, you can choose any compressor wheel you like from 16G to 20G. Bryan used to offer the FP 68HTA which was great for the E85-only crowd.

I can tell you nothing larger than a TD05H turbine will fit 'nicely' in the exhaust housing. Cram a TD06 in there and the geometry is horrible.

On a 2.5, the 20G is really too large to be paired with a TD05H except in an 8cm2 housing, and even that isn't ideal.

The stock P18 exhaust housing is about 7.4cm2 by my measurements. See how the physical, mechanical limits are often outside of practical limits?

Note that the STi exhaust cams have the same valve lift as the oldskool single-AVCS 255 or 257 items. I haven't measured the duration on either but the profile looks identical. All you are doing here is un-handicapping the motor after Subaru dumbed it down.

I no longer stock these hybrid turbos btw, I shipped the last one today. Any further orders would have to be GBs.

• 1 month later...

...so I finally got my wastegate ported. I went w/a local shop Tim's Turbos, here are some pics of the wastegate.

Before

0gF81drIAIY3tqI5s1Fpu9of_WO8oC-rpNUk4V49D9Rndx8AssJgMivRN5tyLbRi3Hl5AOjB_bjXLx2M-mjMD-LqeUJvCYE1ZPgvjr41jho30x6ZjdNWqGLLBN9x1puihDdhGLxWKU3nhzi5rUDIpB0PgITokJNRE3YxWaikpkwrB_6YL5aR6vVy3vJbmh1I34RdIeCnJ_u41wgGHzMr1RsNvoqeemMOZtL8RiYdJVUPOhX2ImHgbj8ZHTXako6_3OiaXN8dqDbpu7j-pJv3i3s8e6xho60LLZBaFM7V5puzUPEu4vtyQxBhsIe9OhNI59viOohQXK9w7Q7HfkCl4NR8gaq7ATeWCWxEHV--53H-vj_2u0qVX0MF_ieEUs_nKsnrS7GmmdT-l_OjgaZwEkk2gnbJdOvOhjbUzqFvTxHME9MQDny0tf6I3byXyudFa1okhoWH0mDaFeTGnsliyzbbWU39foLj5g24VaWqfYY9BWjpEnNswe1NNquM1Xzx8ILJ_YIvG0WbTeaidwp1AlbflkwFPmrvOKeeAxf1aapecrCTesp5CSvkFrc6JoxIjnuqQpqd1luVXKTmQkguXWFheFrbh8DEpi1xzVjGPKGDgvsFaIHJO7xHxlvLBlheTAKgY0b_E2uujtt42yWU-P2ZDDhGFDTiJxnH=w439-h658-no

After

rrqIsMchbfwcKAhPstcPqAyb-oIUrRc6dfNK-r8S31KVUXVpjLD0dotgyNwu57sC4LzesbrBz9TrCtZdpDdmVQlC_APtuARirAcmQo-K72V5vvDYkm3FOR217xhyprSYeHcJfzq6cVjzuMw_q3ntsWczis4QSv1MPXn8wj-6_k1W5NzipVMXmB21nKoKr9UuMyuuyf-2Ny08VI9TbfoQmjJVpSUch8YHuHvIhRq-FzVKw3gmoTMCDX4pg7wAXCjer9dK4Bju3hBczOSxWUqcOO6sfUxqDbViBNawhKTWS5-uDAEexlgZHPTp86rE3LRK88vTij7N3nHL_5Vk-0GUAmTjHEjfJsn6UmZEwl8psa_U9ReYiN0yPIJEc9bmoEvnsQVUjFFcz9TvRtngrynNG7O6pBFStklMYeZPBDmi1Yk0N2CqWgxQ22juKk_sOgcRJoVL_LfNz75lIg1xKuFd_EcJ-JYRyeJa6tcMQX28ISQp_W7_ULQwhIsYR4wmi32NMXLBwhRbYuEhnuttg1Z42GNI1VCfzIHZYAThGmKGHr60CSsUFKZR_CF9ErQTNCWhCBlyeq2qUAOnuEXeqxpDXIpnDlRC4om3yeNy9lQWg6UDK3jK7GSFm1vaQ2rVqJMpDRe81eLsSK0kdwwa6uv9wwr1Ftbg7OD9uziq=w988-h658-no

S2apFOzkNRYT4_c6wAH1TWdrG7K1mwHOR7f6BWjmr0pDMIPQm6k6rsz6n-D1zeh7B1o0AEzTbKm7prauchJYlI7_yjHju2BcMWaRQ1gZQNo-qwSRJlsSI02NkpfVaA-WVtX-JT_IsO5zRGNrq5c60KFHhbkeEI2LkEvz5yh34VgFoLXpj3pcoieBl1KaWQnOyHixHjALcX8eRNZ4UTYT4UQxL0QrIG_u3vC73boiEjzuQub21mCAXjoSVDPbETxwtDwxMgkCPHVS2Uf3HkzYgSMxDdNJ6WPNWgnsclhWqdgzDUdz5YnQeQaPaHGtJIRivB0GD5r9iWVntQG07bRQxdKkh0XIdth9ShBCuX4saCwXZMYeTf262g0qJeFY6SrddnDi_UfM32g2p23vL-A_ygakdGNWVWJfikRkLWP5LVTLa2UKZIQe902BjLhlAb-0tYYzKRy86Q3CHwTG2nf5cmDAos5SUnF1N_Qk_9EY2qA7Pp6qfVqJE2yAh-l-_snu5KNzQQfK-x7S6CJAMBncgA-1tPZoceiOS6GeT-ua4TCOq6koaOGN_OU8hTCfySNC-UbS5k77JRH9efQFB9fwW_FhEycmbp_iitO4DnZX8r8kfSsvDFstuRr0alqwDQ2hE9ual7L-IY87CCRpAxBw3Qp2Fui4M6LzemJj=w439-h658-no

...the inside of the wastegate where the sharp edge was is now nice and smooth, the port itself has also been conservatively enlarged (about an inch).

Edited by Syndicate

What ever happened to Frenchy's turbo? Did it just up and walk away, never to return?

Turbo parts Canada does offer the service of installing a bigger wastegate flapper for 150$ or 200$. The problem is when i got there to get the job done,is machine shop was down for 3 week. I ended up buying a 20 g instead.