LegacyGT.com

Overheating not sure what it is

I blew my water pump on my 96 legacy L had that replaced along with the timing belt. Yet it still will slowly overheat, if I turn up the temp on the dash it will stay at normal I don't even have to turn on my fans. Other than that it runs fine. A few people have told me maybe a vapor lock, or something about the heater core not getting any fluid. Im new to Subaru only have had it for 2 weeks and one week it was in the shop, Any thing would help.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

welcome to the forums and look up how to purge air from the cooling system. What does your heater do when you turn it on and drive around? Is the thermostat from Subaru or aftermarket (I'm assuming it was changed with the water pump)?

I think it's a stock thermostat and when I turn on my heater it drives like it should temp stays in the middle and she drives fine. I don't even need to turn the fan on. And I'll look that up

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Once you get all of the air and if it still wants to over heat try this. You didn't say you replaced the thermostat but if you didn't I would replace it with a oem one. BUT before you do you might want to check for blown headgaskets. There's a testing tool for checking for hydrocarbons you can rent for Oreillys and you just fill the tool with the testing fluid and when the engines up to temp and radiator cap off you hold the tester over the radiator and the fluid inside the tool with chance color if hydrocarbons are present in the coolant. This test is really easy to do and will save from buying unneeded parts.

Thank spooln30. I have purged the cooling system that didn't work, and I'm going to replace my thermostat. The thing is I saw the neither of my fans turn on, was thinking it could be a radiator fan. Was going to buy that with the thermostat, because it's not that much money and easy to replace. But I'll keep the head gasket in mind. How hard is it to replace a head gasket. I know people who have trashed there car cut of that.

96 postel wagon RHD

Get your fans working and see if that fixes it.

Head gaskets aren't a common failure on 2.2l engines but being a RHD it's probably been a bit more abused than the average motor. I did mine without a whole lot of prior mechanical knowledge. But it is a big job and I wouldn't do it if it weren't necessary. And I def. wouldn't scrap a RHD because of it.

The junkyard here has a beautiful second gen Outback Limited without a scratch on it, leather, sunroof, everything works, brand new tires... blew a headgasket and they sold it for scrap :(

Thanks for the information and yeah I wouldn't scrap it just because of that I'll swap the rhd to another one before I scrap it lol and our junkyards suck for some reason one time I paid them to take a car so stupid

96 postel wagon RHD

off topic but where the hell did you find a postal wagon?!? ive been looking for one for 3 years and I cant find one driving, NOT NECESSARILY INSPECTABLE, but driving for less than 3k, and I've only actually seen 3 for sale in 3 years. maybe im not looking in the right places, but I thought post offices would be a good idea.

Lol I found it on Craigslist in Minnesota there was 4 of them for sale but only the one I bought drove and they were all under $1000 don't get me wrong it's not the nicest one around, we have some nasty winters I want to swap out the rhd to a newer nicer leg but I'm thinking that's beyond my mechanical abilities

96 postel wagon RHD

Archived