LegacyGT.com

High HP legacy build questions please chime in

Hey guys just a few questions, im new to Subaru so I'm not super familiar with these cars but I own a 08 legacy gt 5EAT. Im coming from toyota/lexus, had a few sc300's and still love them, just wanted to try something different and newer. Didn't want a wrx since everyone has one, I like different so the legacy was perfect. Anywho my ultimate goals for this car will be a 500+ 10sec street car. For now itl be keeped fairly stock with nothing to crazy. So here we go

.TMIC vs FMIC?

I'm looking to do supporting mods than I can keep when I throw in the bigger turbo. So my questions is

-What is the largest turbo that can be fitted in the stock location and still retain a TMIC? Also Im not sure if different coolers have different amounts of clearance?

-Seems like a FMIC is the way to go since it's clears up the entire.area to mount a customer bigger set up. But I don't see purpose for all the xtra piping, I rather keep it short and neat. I simply love the look of the tmic.

-As far as cooling efficiency. At what level does the FMIC become "Way" more efficient than a tmic?

Other than that im sure I can figure out the rest. Those are just the things that are rolling in my head atm. I appreciate any help that I can get and thanks again guys. I look forward to messing the legacy.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for that Il give a look. Obviously the car will be built in the future to handle the power. If anyone can maby give me a list of aftermarket turbos that can be fitted in the stock location. Thanks

With a good Fab guy most any turbo can fit. There are a few guy's here that have rotated set ups.

m sprank may be a good member to look up. But he owns a real shop so make sure you know what your talking about so you don't take up to much of his time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Goal is a 10 sec. In the long run. 500+ is a number. This isn't happening tomorrow. Were not kids here.

Il be searching the info, was just hoping I could get some input.

Sure sounds like a kid question. High hp builds start with a goal then reality sets in when numbers are attached. A big turbo will suck on the street unless you use a high rpm torque converter. standard auto tragic redlines at 5k.

You really want a drag car get a wrx. You'll be money ahead

Sure sounds like a kid question. High hp builds start with a goal then reality sets in when numbers are attached. A big turbo will suck on the street unless you use a high rpm torque converter. standard auto tragic redlines at 5k.

You really want a drag car get a wrx. You'll be money ahead

Don't worry, I know it can be done and with time it will be done. Just trying to clear up some questions.

Thanks for the input guys, for now the car will running a vf52 til I can figure out what turbo I want to end up with. Looks like I have to get a custom set up? I was considering a borgwarner turbo since I've had experience with them and there probably the best bang for your buck.

If there a log on how much more a FMIC out performs a aftermarket tmic? So I can get an idea

Thanks again

Don't worry, I know it can be done and with time it will be done. Just trying to clear up some questions.

Thanks for the input guys, for now the car will running a vf52 til I can figure out what turbo I want to end up with. Looks like I have to get a custom set up? I was considering a borgwarner turbo since I've had experience with them and there probably the best bang for your buck.

If there a log on how much more a FMIC out performs a aftermarket tmic? So I can get an idea

Thanks again

Seriously? you're not getting it. Wrong car. A wrx or sti is much better platform. unless you have lots of money. It sounds like are going to hire it out. So find a builder and setup a payment plan. You'll get a great build. Stoopid expensive but running.

Tmic is good for 350 maybe. A fmic double that. A rotated intake with a front mount turbo ? Probably 1000

Seriously? you're not getting it. Wrong car. A wrx or sti is much better platform. unless you have lots of money. It sounds like are going to hire it out. So find a builder and setup a payment plan. You'll get a great build. Stoopid expensive but running.

Tmic is good for 350 maybe. A fmic double that. A rotated intake with a front mount turbo ? Probably 1000

Coming out a little to aggressive but I get point. I know itl be costly. Thanks for the info it's what I'm looking for. I was simply asking if the tmic was efficient enough for higher hp build or if the fmic was "mandatory". I didn't how bad the tmic really

really was. But I just had to confirm it. Not to worry, like I said the car isn't being built overnight. As of now I'm only shooting for 300whp on the vf52 then slowly progressing.

I like the different factor In the legacy. I can almost guarantee that im the only gt owner in my city. Every one with a subaru out here is literaly a wrx.

I know a thing or two when it comes to building cars. Had a few 2j and 1jz motors. Have worked a fair share of 4g63s and ls1's as well.

Stage 2 is where Cobb takes you.

Anything after that you use it so the Tuner can load a map into it and then load it into the ecu.

Talk to the guy's and girls at AWDtuning in TX

Hope you know the tranny cant handle much after 350-400 and its recommended to get your valve body modified as well a trans cooler to go over 300 whp

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

Oh yea its a 5eat, no way he'll ever get close to that HP for very long. May be he can put a Chevy tranny in it.

I had a Forced performance "red" turbo stock location on my sti, made 486 wheel horsepower on Q16 race gas running 32 psi and could only manage an 11.6 time slip. I also put 40 grand + into that car so I hope you have a seriously good paying job and best of luck to you! We have yet to see a legacy street car break into the 10s...:lol:

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Archived