LegacyGT.com

Airbag light...sometimes. Console problem?

Ok..guys....search the forum for air bag light. It's got something to do I with a compactor inside of your overhead box (where sunroof switch is) having a crapy soldering job done. You need to sure up the solder some more.

Easy on the "just search the forum" reply Proflash, my questions concerns are still legitimate, as are others here. Theres not a concise write up, nor have the potentially dangerous implications of the light been thoroughly outlined... The reason I found this, is because I did search the forum.. The annuls on this topic aren't entirely conclusive, and It would be amazing to have someone attempt to answer them

(When you search: (This seems to be the hottest thread on the topic when you search, otherwise you mostly just find stuff like this: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fauly-airbag-harnessi-214006.html?t=214006&highlight=air+bag+light ; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/airbag-light-153676p2.html?highlight=air+bag+light ))

Besides, some people have solved their problem with the dealership not touching the solder, and some who've soldered didn't fix their problems, so on so forth. The other problem areas aren't clearly defined.

I sure haven't found how much of a safety concern this light really is, but it is potentially pointlessly devastating if the bags don't deploy on impact. I don't know, and Im not sure most of us do either. I would imagine that this light could be on for a legitimate reason to, not from the poor solder job. So whats that legitimate problem, the intended function of the light, anyway? Whatever the case, this is such a common problem, a writeup is direly needed, the case isn't closed, so don't tell people to "go searching" JUST YET..

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy on the "just search the forum" reply Proflash, my questions concerns are still legitimate, as are others here. Theres not a concise write up, nor have the potentially dangerous implications of the light been thoroughly outlined... The reason I found this, is because I did search the forum.. The annuls on this topic aren't entirely conclusive, and It would be amazing to have someone attempt to answer them

(When you search: (This seems to be the hottest thread on the topic when you search, otherwise you mostly just find stuff like this: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fauly-airbag-harnessi-214006.html?t=214006&highlight=air+bag+light ; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/airbag-light-153676p2.html?highlight=air+bag+light ))

Besides, some people have solved their problem with the dealership not touching the solder, and some who've soldered didn't fix their problems, so on so forth. The other problem areas aren't clearly defined.

I sure haven't found how much of a safety concern this light really is, but it is potentially pointlessly devastating if the bags don't deploy on impact. I don't know, and Im not sure most of us do either. I would imagine that this light could be on for a legitimate reason to, not from the poor solder job. So whats that legitimate problem, the intended function of the light, anyway? Whatever the case, this is such a common problem, a writeup is direly needed, the case isn't closed, so don't tell people to "go searching" JUST YET..

Easy up on what? You are posting for airbag light issues in a thread that has nothing to do with airbag lights. There are plenty of threads and ANSWERS to the issue on the forum. I know for a fact because I've read them, used them, and since solved my problem. There is literally a photo step by step solution posted on here. All I said was search the forums, don't show up in a thread and post a question that has nothing to do with the thread topic. Read the forum rules bub, it ain't rocket science.

• 3 weeks later...
So it sounds like you guys have a bad connection thats off and on.

Listen to my issue.

My airbag is always on. The passenger 'off' is always lite. The seatbelt chimmer for the passenger cycles continuously. No matter what.

Whats my issue

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Unless this is one of those weird quizzes, I would say that your issue is that your airbag is always on, the passenger 'off' is always lite, and the seatbelt...chimmer...for the passenger cycles continuously, no matter what.

What do I win?

• 3 weeks later...
New member chiming in here to give praise to Crazy Pilot for his fix. The airbag light was lit on my dash and both of the overhead yellow "Airbag" and "On" lights weren't lighting. After adding solder to each connection, everything is again working as it should. THANK YOU!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
I'm still having what I think is a separate problem. Has nothing to do with the passenger airbag or seatbelt indicator. Mine is the red word AIRBAG in the gauges. I thought it was a cold issue as well, but now it's been happening off and on in August in 70 degree weather.

I'm still having what I think is a separate problem. Has nothing to do with the passenger airbag or seatbelt indicator. Mine is the red word AIRBAG in the gauges. I thought it was a cold issue as well, but now it's been happening off and on in August in 70 degree weather.

All the issues result in the word "airbag" in the dash gauge area. Resolding the resistors in the overhead console area is a 10 minute job that costs no money so it wouldn't hurt to try it.

So you're saying humidity is probably playing a factor. ..which goes back to the issue stated stated a few dozen times. Soldering the bad connections in the overhead console area where the map lights are will solve.the issue. If it doesn't. ..your start from the fuses and follow the wires looking for corroded wires and possible shorts.

Yea i posted on this awhile back like a year and a half ago... it worked for a while. Kept having to solder the connections but it kept coming back every couple month so I just went to the dealership and bought a new overhead console for a hundred and some change. Havent had a problen since. But to anyone having this issue I would suggest soldering the connections first. Mine had two or three lights (LED'S )on the panel going out every once in awhile. Im glad I replaced it completely better than taking it out over couple months.

So you're saying humidity is probably playing a factor. ..which goes back to the issue stated stated a few dozen times. Soldering the bad connections in the overhead console area where the map lights are will solve.the issue. If it doesn't. ..your start from the fuses and follow the wires looking for corroded wires and possible shorts.

This be true :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks to the guide/pics from Crazy_Pilot I just did this today and it seemed straight-forward enough. I also went ahead and did D1 with R1 since they looked a little thin.

Before

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn257/theflystyle/2013-02-23_14-05-26_43_zps148287a6.jpg

After

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn257/theflystyle/2013-02-23_15-28-25_605_zps3b372bbb.jpg

To the pros, does that seem like its ok?

thank you all. I ripped my module off on my 07' and looked at the chips on the R1 side & so on, but they all looked fine. Except the three on the backside they were all cracked on the solder connections. so i hit all three with a shitty solder job, and now it works like a champ.

i am starting to think this a consistent problem with Japanese electronics cuz the ps3 has the same problem with the processor being solder upside down. heat melt the solder and gravity pulls it down.:lol:

• 2 months later...

Thanks to everyone on this thread, especially CrazyPilot for the pics. Another success story here.

After searching and waiting a year for a manual Leg wagon with sunroof and dark color, I picked up an '06 SE 5MT wagon w/ 105K miles a couple months ago and the red cluster airbag light started coming on now and then. And then most of the time.

Did the solder job. A couple weeks later and still no light, plus the orange overhead lights are now working properly (they were inconsistent without a passenger).

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the resolder trick worked for a little less than a month. The red airbag dash light came on consistently as I ran errands today, along with neither "on" or "off" orange passenger light with no passenger riding.

So I took the map assembly back out, reflowed and resoldered absolutely every bit of solder on both sides of the board with a much finer soldering iron tip this time. No red airbag light, and the on/off orange passenger light is working properly. We'll see...

• 2 weeks later...
I'm been getting the airbag light 80% of the time in the past couple months. This weekend I took the overhead panel apart and soldered the little board back together. No light this morning on the way to work!

Edit: I snapped a few pictures while fixing mine, for anyone who worries this repair is beyond them.

1. Remove the map light cover (pry on the sides with your finger nails)

2. Remove the two philips screws holding the panel to the roof.

3. Remove the panel (it has 3 prongs that hold it against the headliner on the front edge)

4. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/crazy_pilot/2008%20Legacy%20Spec%20B/IMG_1214-1.jpg

5. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/crazy_pilot/2008%20Legacy%20Spec%20B/IMG_1213.jpg

6. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/crazy_pilot/2008%20Legacy%20Spec%20B/IMG_1210.jpg

7. Re-solder any other components you feel like. I did D1, R1 (the 511 guy), and all the resistors on the other side.

8. Put back together!

You don't need much experience soldering to take care of this, I've only done it a few times myself. Let the iron heat up, melt a decent amount of solder onto the tip, shake/tap to remove the excess, and then place the tip against the joint you want to fix. Once the board heats up enough the solder will flow down. I basically filled the corners with a nice little dot of solder on each one.

Second edit: I'm sorry if that last picture is sideways, Photobucket shows it straight and then upside down if I use the "rotate" function. Meh.

You are the MAN! Thank you for a thorough walkthrough with pics.

Edited by hairlessrien

• 2 weeks later...
I'm also having issues with the airbag light on the dash (haven't noticed it on the Over head console) coming on intermittently. I notice that when I start the car if it's on when I start it, it stays on for the rest of the trip/run time and vice versa. Not sure if I can pass MA inspection with it on but as long as I can I don't see a problem other than an annoyance of the dashboard light

• 2 weeks later...

Having intermittent dash airbag lighting up and staying on, no warnings in the overhead..

Shutting the car completely off and restarting it makes it go away generally.. will have to look into this resoldering job when it gets warmer out.