LegacyGT.com

Clutch problem after replacement/engine removal

Recently I removed the engine in my 98 legacy 2.2L to replace the clutch. I also did headgaskets and various seals while it was out. I went with a brand new Exedy clutch from Rockauto and a brand new Luk flywheel. Replaced pilot and throwout bearings as well with the kit.

Today I mated the engine and trans in the car, tightened the four bell housing bolts and tested the clutch pedal to make sure everything was groovy. It was not. No matter how I adjust the clutch cable, the pedal goes completely to the floor with no resistance at all,as if the TO bearing is not making any contact with anything. I removed the engine, clutch disk is not backwards, TO bearing is connected properly and looks to be the same as the one that I removed. It is almost as if I need some sort of spacer between the TO bearing and the clutch disk, the clutch cable simply hasn't got the travel to move the lever far enough to impact the clutch itself.

The only thing that I can figure is that I may have the incorrect pressure plate. I thought of this after leaving my shop for the day and will compare tomorrow. Is there anything that I am missing? Some other location for cable adjustment? I'm truely stumped here and not loving the 14 mpg that my tow rig gets every day that this car is offline.

• 1 year later...

Archived