LegacyGT.com

My 2010 Legacy GT Accessory/Mod Tracker

You guys rock. I wish I could save this particular thread and posts somewhere for easy reference later.

For the easy bushing installs (i.e. turning a wrench) how much did it cost you to buy the trans and rear diff bushings?

I think I might wait for you to finish yours and be at least mostly satisfied with the end result before I buy any of this stuff though :) I suffer from not knowing my car parts well enough to be able to shop for what I need. Probably just a matter of finding the time to do this research I guess but some people just have an easier grasp on the parts that they need and can easily recognize what would work better, etc. I think you guys have done these things a few times on previous cars. Me on the other hand have really not done squat in comparison to cars ever. My 08 Spec.B was stage 2 but the only thing I did myself (with a friends help) was the intake and the magnaflow cat back and chassis brace.

Regardless, your willingness to help me is greatly appreciated. I will keep an eye on how things go for you guys via these posts and when I finally get the gumption to give it a go I will be PM'ing you :)

I'm just here for the mods.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you give me more credit than due. I get most of my research from this site, take a stab at what I think I would like and then hope for the best.

My installation skills are about the same. I've done basic intake and exhaust installs but I only ever do projects which someone has already written up and included pictures. I definitely learn something new with every project but this car just seems so easy to take apart that I feel like my experience with Lego's is my best friend :lol:

In regards to the bushings I paid $73 (from TurninConcepts) for both. The transmission mount was $71 (from Fred Beans).

Yes, you can spend about $150 and have the trans mount, rear diff inserts KDT903, and trans crossmember bushings.

I would advise not getting the KDT903 and getting KDT905 and KDT906. For KDT905 you'll have to get somebody with a hydraulic press to press out the stock bushings which are enclosed with a metal sleeve. You can press the new bushings in easily by hand.

I'm having the KDT906 installed next week. For that you have to drop the rear diff and remove the rear subframe to press out the stock bushings. That was not something I was willing to do myself with the car on jack stands. As much as it pains me to pay for labor, I won't mind it one bit on this part.

I'll post my thoughts on the firmness of the rear end next Friday. Solid bushings vs. inserts. I'm hoping solid bushings dominate!

Got the transmission mount, cross member bushings and differential bushings installed today. Even though I haven't driven real far with them I'm already thrilled with the results. I really feel like the shifting and rear end in general has firmed up.

The rear end "clunk" feeling is gone and everything feels much more solid at the time of clutch disengagement. I'm sure I'll have more thoughts on it after some more driving.

Glad to hear you liked them!!

I've had these for quite awhile and love them. Relatively easy and cheap mod that gives a noticeable improvement in shifting and driveline lash. The only downside is a very slight tingle to the pedals, but nothing that I consider excessive.

I wish I had someone that could do all this for me :) I have no knowledge on any of this (besides what I read here) but I would love to have all this done to my LGT. ebo also does all this. Wish I could just go to one of your houses and have you guys do this stuff for me :)

Rogue--if you can change oil, you can do this mod. Acumenhokie posted the DIY's, just take your time, and you'll know it is done right. The money you save can go for tools and mods :)

Actually I have never in my life change the oil on a car. I have always been a believer that paying someone else to do that is worth the money for convenience. :)

That being said, since that is often the first thing people learn when working on their car I have been held back by being lazy (opportunity cost). It's only now, in my 30's that I enjoy personalizing my car a bit...

One day I shall be a Jedi Master like yourselves!

I'm just here for the mods.

I've had these for quite awhile and love them. Relatively easy and cheap mod that gives a noticeable improvement in shifting and driveline lash. The only downside is a very slight tingle to the pedals, but nothing that I consider excessive.

Haven't noticed the pedal tingle I'll have to pay attention and see if I can notice it. Overall though I'm very happy with this mod. Don't know which of the components it was or if it's all 3 working together but after driving a bit I can say this is one of the better bang for the buck mods.

• 1 month later...

Front and rear adjustable sways are on (currently set to the softest setting). It was still damp on the roads but on the way to work this morning I stopped 3 times to let slow cars go so I could power through the twists. I still almost rear ended people coming out of the corners.

Turns where I used to get tire squeal are now silent and planted. Still really breaking things in and getting used to the feel but I appear to be the only car on the road that speeds up for turns. :lol:

Car is now void of any under steer and gives just a touch of over steer when you get on it out of the corner.

At this point it's another mod I'm happy to say is worth every penny.

Front and rear adjustable sways are on (currently set to the softest setting). It was still damp on the roads but on the way to work this morning I stopped 3 times to let slow cars go so I could power through the twists. I still almost rear ended people coming out of the corners.

Turns where I used to get tire squeal are now silent and planted. Still really breaking things in and getting used to the feel but I appear to be the only car on the road that speeds up for turns. :lol:

Car is now void of any under steer and gives just a touch of over steer when you get on it out of the corner.

At this point it's another mod I'm happy to say is worth every penny.

Cool. Were you around for the front sway bar install? I keep hearing you need to raise the engine/drop the front sub-frame to get them in, curious to know whats required.

If it is raising the engine, is that just unbolting the engine mount bolts (and how do you do that on a Subaru) and jacking it up?

I'm afraid if I went with a upgraded front, my 19mm rear would be too small. At least I could probably sell it in the classified section.

• 1 month later...

Installed rear spacers (25mm) yesterday. Ran out of time before I did the fronts so that's now a project for next weekend.

The rear of the car looks 10 times better (I have pulled and rolled fenders) and will look great when these become my winter rims (planning to order wider summer rims in the spring). This change gave the whole rear end of the car a much more aggressive look.

Before:

http://i56.tinypic.com/2q3opz4.jpg

After:

http://i54.tinypic.com/ih7cdt.jpg

Cool. Were you around for the front sway bar install? I keep hearing you need to raise the engine/drop the front sub-frame to get them in, curious to know whats required.

If it is raising the engine, is that just unbolting the engine mount bolts (and how do you do that on a Subaru) and jacking it up?

I'm afraid if I went with a upgraded front, my 19mm rear would be too small. At least I could probably sell it in the classified section.

Not sure if I ever answered this but no I wasn't there personally when they installed the front sway. They did however tell me that it required lowering the subframe (and they charged me an extra 0.5 hrs labor to do so).

Holy crap... I was planning on 10-15mm spacers. Looks like I'll need to go at least 25mm to get the look I'd like.

Good work sir!

Keep in mind I have pulled and rolled fenders so I can actually fit an 18X9 back there.

I'm only going 15mm on the front since it's not as flared on sunk in looking.

Any chance you have a before/after shots of the whole rear? I'd like to see the stance.

Install pretty easy?

I'm sure I have an old shot of the rear (I hope). Need to take a good after shot. Will try to do so after work and share.

Install was really easy because the studs are already pressed in the rear. Front is going to require new longer studs and will likely be more painful.

1) Jack up car (only need it high enough to get tire off, you're not crawling under there)

2) Remove lug nuts and wheel lock and pull off tire

3) Clean contact points with wire brush or scotch pad thingie

4) Slide on hub

5) apply anti-seize lube

6) Torque spacer to factory spec

7) Put tire back on and torque to factory spec

8) Smile at improved look.

Job would have gone even quicker if my car wasn't too low for my floor jack. :lol:

You had to pull the roll/pull the fenders to fit an 18x9 wheel? People seem to be fitting 9 - 9.5 inch wheels without doing that?

Maybe b/c I'm lowered too?

Waz would have to answer that. He's the one who pulled and rolled them and put on the 18x9 wheels (believe minuccims has his old setup). Car had the OEM rims back on it when I purchased it.

Maybe b/c I'm lowered too?

Waz would have to answer that. He's the one who pulled and rolled them and put on the 18x9 wheels (believe minuccims has his old setup). Car had the OEM rims back on it when I purchased it.

I have the 18x9 Rotas with 245/40 R18s. Not rolled. No issues. That is with stock springs/struts and with RCE Blacks/OEM struts.

Waz rolled them because of the coilovers. He also had 255s on the rims for a while.

Waz rolled them because of the coilovers. He also had 255s on the rims for a while.

Same coils I have b/c I bought them off of him. :lol:

When it comes time to buy my tires I'm going to ask for pics of your 245 and try to find pics of his 255 so I can make an informed position.