LegacyGT.com

Ipod Charger question

ADaniels

I have searched for the past day or so, and I know I read it somewhere before in this forum. I am looking for the hardwired solution to charge the IPOD (can be connected to any 12 Volt source). I want to hide the wires behind the console, and do NOT want the cigarette lighter adapter. I already have the FM modulator (Audiovox FM100A..which rocks), and am looking to hide the IPOD power. Let me know

Just wire it into any 12v source. On my new lgt and previous car, I took the center console out (well, in the lgt, it's the cover over the shifter) and you have direct access to the back of the cig adaptor. The best solution is soldering it in, but I cheated and just wrapped the wires and taped (don't tell anyone ;) I would prefer an always on solution, but this is just fine. If you need an always on, you can always run a wire from the battery direct - I did that on my wifes car for the cell charger.

I'm asking about the product that comes with just wires and hooks into the bottom of the ipod. From that connection there are three wires that come out (1 audio, 1 power, 1 ground). I saw this product on another post, but haven't been able to find it again. It would be a lot easier to hide something like that, and easier to wire up.

Sure - just take the cig adaptor charger and cut the cig adaptor off. You can use that.

Just to note - I have a 2nd gen ipod which charges through a firewire cable. I cut a firewire cable and wired the 12v through the power leads in that. I am not sure which wires are for power. Another thing you can do - take the cig adaptor charger, put a wire from the tip connector to the 12v source and from the side metal clips to the ground. Keep in mind, probably only one of the side clips is used as ground, the other will be a dummy just for keeping it in place. Hide that whole assembly, wire it to the back of the cig adaptor, and pass the cable out through the spot of your choice.

• 9 months later...

Archived